Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Safale S-05 Rehydration question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
daveyohill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Safale S-05 Rehydration question

I understand that dry yeast viability is improved with rehydration prior to pitching (according to Jamil anyway).

To re-hydrate I boil 1 cup of water to sterilize and then cool off tin foil covered in a pyrex measuring cup. When the water is below 80degF. I sprinkle the yeast into the water to rehydrate.

The last two times I've done this with S-05 the yeast formed a barrier at surface and even after letting it sit for 1/2hr a major portion of the yeast required stirring to incorporate into the water. It was clumpy and needed stirring to produce a slurry.

When I've done this with S-04 the yeast immediately falls into solution and produces a foamy slurry without stirring within 15 minutes.

Is this a common experience with this yeast?

Do you even bother rehydrating with this yeast.

After 12 hours in primary the airlock has started bubbling every 15-20 seconds so I'm guessing everything is OK. My last beer was fermenting vigorously after 24 hours. I just wonder if I really need to sweat this detail to produce great beer.

" Why can't I free your doubtful mind and melt your cold cold heart?"

On Deck: "Some Cascade Porterish Thing!"
Primary: "Glen's' Tree Stand, Wicked Brown Ale"
Bottled: "Goodnight Irene; Wicked Amber Ale"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyohill View Post
I understand that dry yeast viability is improved with rehydration prior to pitching (according to Jamil anyway).
This is true and here's why...

When yeast ferment certain sugars (such as maltose), they must first secrete an enzyme that breaks this sugar down so they can metabolize it. They only have the capacity to secrete these types of enzymes when they are healthy and hydrated. Under these circumstances, the yeast's cell membrane won't allow maltose in unchecked.

When a dehydrated yeast cell first becomes hydrated, it allows too many things in the hydration solution into the cell unchecked. When it allows things in that it would normally break down first (e.g., maltose), it can die. This is why it's best to rehydrate in water first. It gives the most viability and cell count.

That being said, it's not black and white and plenty of yeast survive when rehydrated directly in wort. In the case of ales, it is often desired to have a flavor profile that comes from yeast characteristics (esters, etc.). Many of these compounds are produced during the growth phase. So, having a higher cell count, such as that which comes from rehydrating dried yeast in water, is not always considered necessary depending on the brewer and the intended beer.

In the case of S-05, you may want a relatively clean flavor profile, so it may be worth rehydrating... especially if the gravity is over ~1.040.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 01-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Most yeasts just sit there. The explanation I've received is: dry yeast is extremely hygroscopic and sticky. Even sitting on top of the water, the yeast is absorbing water. Next time I use some S-04, I'll try to remember if it acts differently.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-25-2010, 12:14 AM   #4
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

S05 is an animal, I wouldn't bother rehydrating.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 01-25-2010, 03:19 AM   #5
denimglen
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have this 'problem' as well.

The effect is reduced if you can rehydrate in a container that is shallower and wider so there's more water surface area touching the yeast.

I just use a pyrex beaker, after about 15 minutes I give it a good stir, and again after about another 5 minutes then pitch., haven't had any problems yet.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:46 AM   #6
CharlosCarlies

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Happens to me every time as well. I just give it a gentle swirl after 15-20 min and it's ready to go in another 5-10.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:34 AM   #7
defenestrate

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

same thing here. when i use s04 it blooms up real quick, and notty precipitates very quickly. no biggy.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I don't rehydrate it at all and I've never had a problem. I'm careful to get my wort to the right temperature before pitching.

Black Diamond Brewery

Think global, drink local.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:07 PM   #9
greenbirds
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes, I have noticed this as well. Seems pretty much impossible to execute the instructions as stated (suspend without stirring while it soaks up water, then stir after ~15 min). I think denimglen hit it right on about using a shallower, wider container.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #10
bikefoolery
Cycling + Beer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Viability of the yeast is lower without re-hydrating properly. There still are enough active yeast to ferment, but you are also essentially throwing a bunch of sick or dead yeast in your beer. I prefer not to do that.

Quick Reply