Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Safale S-05 high attenuation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #11
BobBailey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Attenuation isn't determined wholly by the yeast. Your grain bill, mash temperature, OG, pitching rate and fermentation conditions are also major players in the equation, as is your system.

That's why it is so important to keep good records of your brew sessions. If you missed the mark you were aiming for, you have a baseline that, along with a good working knowledge of the brewing process, helps you to make adjustments and dial it in.

Bob

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #12
suprchunk
I'm in OT now!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierandbikes
I mashed at 151, so based on the experiences here and my mash temp, seems I am right on. I did a Porter a few batches back and mashed at 156 to see what would happen. It left a lot more body. I just cracked one of those open after almost a year and I could swear it had been aged in an old sherry barrel. I guess that is a topic for another thread.
Is your thermometer calibrated? I thought one I had been using for years was good, but it got out of whack somewhere along the way.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
bierandbikes
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Bob, good point. I try to keep very good records. I even recalibrate my thermometer every few months. The one thing that should be easy but I seem to miss is my wort volume. I do the best I can with my notched spoon to get the pre-boil volume and calculate based on that volume and pre-boil gravity what my final wort volume should be. I tend to boil off too much. I know there is some contraction once it cools but I think a sight glass or some more accurate way of measuring wort volume in the BK is the next upgrade. I think that has contributed as much to my higher than expected OG as my increased efficiency.

I'll let you know how the two S-05 fermented brews turn out. Hopefully not too dry, but a strong ale and imperial IPA should keep everyone happy for Christmas.

Last edited by bierandbikes; 12-12-2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: wrong word

Old 12-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
ubenumber2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just made a pale ale with one package of s-05 that started at 1.055 and ended at 1.006 after 3 weeks , I was pleased with the out come , one of the better beers I have made

Bottle Arky Pale Ale
Bottle Arky Abbey Ale
Bottle Dirty Amber Ale

Old 12-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #15
BobBailey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierandbikes View Post
Bob, good point. I try to keep very good records. I even recalibrate my thermometer every few months. The one thing that should be easy but I seem to miss is my wort volume. I do the best I can with my notched spoon to get the pre-boil volume and calculate based on that volume and pre-boil gravity what my final wort volume should be. I tend to boil off too much. I know there is some contraction once it cools but I think a sight glass or some more accurate way of measuring wort volume in the BK is the next upgrade. I think that has contributed as much to my higher than expected OG as my increased efficiency.

I'll let you know how the two S-05 fermented brews turn out. Hopefully not too dry, but a strong ale and imperial IPA should keep everyone happy for Christmas.
If you use brewing software, you can change your boil off rate as well as the amount you allow for trub in the BK. The other alternative is to add water after cooling to bring OG to where you want it. The latter would probably be best if your boil off is inconsistent.

Bob

Old 12-23-2012, 02:24 AM   #16
bierandbikes
Recipes 

I just cracked open a bottle of each brew fermented with US-05. The first (simple strong ale) is just not as expected, not complex (somewhat planned) but a bit thin. I suppose this is from taking the FG down to 1.06. I blame it on the US-05 as I have never had this problem before but have tasted it in other homebrews. It could also be a case of underpitching as I only used one packet (hydrated) with an OG of 1.062. The IIPA has great flavor. The hops are clear and forward, but no head. The last IPA I made, using WLP041 had almost too much head. Now I am at the other extreme. Yeast again? I finshed the last batch, virtually identical except for the yeast, at 1.018 and it was perfect. I really like the tangerine flavors in this brew, but I am very unhappy with the carbonation/head. It has been bottled for only 12 days, so maybe a little more time. I rushed these a bit to have them ready for christmas. Maybe that is thte problem, not the yeast. Not enough time for the little guys to clean up all the bad stuff.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #17
BobBailey
Recipes 

I have used US-05 in beers with OG of 1.07+ without a problem. Also, Yeast would be the last player I would blame for issues concerning head. As I stated before, yeast is only part of the equation. I'm sure you had factors other than the liquid/dry versions of Calif. Ale yeast that made much more significant differences if you followed the same recipe.

Bob

Old 12-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #18
HomebrewMTB
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Add some more carapils and/or crystal for more body and head.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #19
Odin_Brews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I definetly pitch US-05 regularly into beers with 1.065 OG, and while it's probably underpitching I don't notice any ill effects, especially not head retention and carbing. My guess is wait it out and let the beer do its thing. You yourself have said you kind of rushed this one for xmas, I bet if you give it a few weeks in the bottle you'll notice a significant change. I still 'test' beer at 12 days in the bottle on occasion, but it's never ready then, and I never expect it to be but my patience wears thin sometimes. Yours Might be good at New Years as an alternative, and probably great sometime around 4 weeks in the bottle.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #20
bierandbikes
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I need to follow my own advice...be patient and don't rush the results. I think with the ABV on these two, more time in the bottle is better. Maybe I'll send a couple of six packs home with the family and tell them to cellar it for a month. I'll keep tasting it every 3-5 days and keep good notes. Part of my head retention problem could be that the grain sat for awhile before I was able to use it. The rye should have produced a good head. I would definitely add some carapils and maybe mash at a higher temp next time I use the US-05 to keep a bit more body.

Always learning...that is the beauty of homebrewing.

Quick Reply