Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Fermentation & Yeast (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/)
-   -   Safale #5 - Causing me to panic... (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/safale-5-causing-me-panic-377108/)

Gunpowder 12-29-2012 05:38 PM

Safale #5 - Causing me to panic...
I just posted this as a sidebar in another thread, but I figured I'd put it here too...

Every batch of beer I've brewed thusfar, I have used #5, dry-pitch, no starter, and it has worked to GREAT effect. Usually with 8 hours it looks like a hurricane inside the carboy.

I just made an IPA last night using a kit that came with Munton's yeast. However, I opted to use Safale #5 instead, only because it's given me such great results so far. However, it's been 12 hours and there is NOTHING happening. And I mean NOTHING, other than the yeast floating in "groups" at the top of the wort, like dollops of ice cream.

I know it can take up to 72 hours, and perhaps I've got high expectations, but I honestly expected to see something by now. Is this a bad sign? Should I have used the Munton's instead?

I checked the package of #05 and it expires in 2014, so it's definitely still good (in theory). In case it doesn't work, should I pitch the Munton's or is this batch totally lost??

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/tips/reprimands :)

feinbera 12-29-2012 05:45 PM

Your beer is fine. I've got my sixth batch with Safale US-05 going right now; it's taken anywhere from 8 - 36 hours for me, but it's always gotten going eventually.

What temperature is your wort at? If you're down in the low 60's, it's gonna take a little longer to start (although you'll end up with a cleaner ferment if you can keep it there once it gets going). If you pitched it really hot -- say, up in the 100's somewhere -- it's possible you killed the yeast on contact.

Anyway, as long you've been careful about sanitation, your wort should be fine for 48 - 72 hours; I'd give it at least 48 before pitching the Munton's.

BrewerinBR 12-29-2012 05:47 PM

Please wait the US 05 will do its job unless you pitched into wort that was too hot. Just one question did you rehydrate the US 05 prior to pitching?

Gunpowder 12-29-2012 05:49 PM

Wort temp was about 65 when I pitched it. And no, I didn't rehydrate. I pitched right from the bag to the carboy :) I don't know why, but I've got this fear of making starters for some reason... lol

Gunpowder 12-29-2012 05:49 PM

And yes, I plan on waiting at least 72 hours... likely longer... before I pitch something else.

clowe 12-29-2012 06:15 PM

Had that happen with my last brew, had a kit sitting in the closet for over a year, decided to brew it but didn't check the date on the yeast pkg. After 48 hours nothing, so picked up a new packet of yeast and pitched, it took off and beer came out fine.

BridgewaterBrewer 12-29-2012 06:24 PM

I know patience is a virtue, but the longer the beer sits without fermenting (ie, no alcohol in it) the better your chance that bacteria will gain a foothold. The only batch I've had that I think was contaminated took longer to start than the others, although I admit it might be a coincidence. Anyway, my point is that if I was less than confident in my sanitation, I would throw in the Munton's yeast after more than 24 hrs. The more experienced brewers may disagree, saying that it's OK to wait up to 3 days. Maybe they're more careful with sanitation...

BigRob 12-29-2012 07:08 PM

Don't throw in the munton's until a solid 72 hours has passed, even then, you'd be better off throwing the munton yeast in the garbage and buying another sachet of US05.

In the future consider rehydrating the yeast in a half cup of boiled cooled water at 105F. You will have a much higher survival rate rehydrating like this, which in turn will result in quicker starts.

Dynachrome 12-29-2012 07:27 PM

Did you actually use the word panic in your thread title? ;)

...look at the threads appearing at the bottom of the page. Be afraid, very afraid....

Gunpowder 12-29-2012 08:29 PM

Good news. I think! The entire surface of the sort is covered in a creamy looking foam, and while I cannot actually see any activity, the air lock is starting to bubble. That's a relief! I think this yeast is finally starting to get to work. Ill keep checking
but it seems like this is a good packet of yeast after all!

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:22 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.