New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Safale-05 at higher temps - what happens?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
xmacro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default Safale-05 at higher temps - what happens?

Just wondering if anyone has worked with Safale at the upper recommended range (package says the yeast should be fine up to 75F).

I have two beers fermenting right now, around 72F - I checked the temp during active fermentation via fermometer strips on the bucket, it never rose above 73F, and I pitched both after rehydrating the yeast, so it got off to a good start (airlock was bubbling 3 hrs after pitching)

So can anyone tell me if it'll turn out alright, or if the fusel alcohols will be high?

I'm sure it'll be drinkable, but I'm wondering how much benefit I'd see if next time I fermented at 68F

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Fusels might show their ugly heads but more than likely, if anything, you'll have some Esters (Bananas & Bubble Gum). Cheers!!!

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

xmacro Likes This 
Old 10-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1464 Posts
Likes Given: 1136

Midwest list manufacturers instructions,& they say US-05's optimal range is 59-71.6F. so 72 ime is right on the money clean. some of my buds say even 74F is still clean with it. Keep the temps down to 72 0r lower,& you're good. My PM pale ale kit at 2 days had a re-hydration problem,but the ale's taste was so clean & fresh it was fenominal!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 426

I have found that higher temps tend to give off a bit of a cidery taste. They mellow slightly over time, but if your temps get REALLY high, you probably will see fusels.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
pcollins
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I fermented three batches at the beginning of the summer during a heat wave where my basement temps were 75º+. No major problems that I detected. There may have been some fruitiness or esters but it was nothing terrible or off putting.

Oddly enough during that same week I brewed a fourth batch (actually the first of the week) and swamp cooled it just to moderate the temps somewhat. It hovered around 72-75 and it came out VERY estery, almost hefeweizen-like. It may have been something more than temps but I just found it odd that that was the only batch that was managed differently than the others and it came out tasting off to me.

My normal happy temps for US-05 are around 68º.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 199

05 is really a pretty clean fermenting yeast but any time you push the range of yeast you have a greater chance of developing off flavors depending on the beer being made. Temperature control is really one of the most important things to take into account when brewing so IMO you need to place greater consideration on using best practice and develop some sort of control that works for you be it a swamp cooler or fermentation chamber. It is unfortunate that so few new brewers take temperature control and their yeast as an afterthought

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Quick Reply