Old 05-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
Layne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Sabco fermenter

Does anyone have experience with one of these?

I just bought one, and would like some advise about pulling samples, transfering, the racking mechanism,saving yeast,ect.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Layne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Here she is.

First brew into the fermenter last night.
The fermenter does not fit in my mini fridge, and have not found a larger one that I like yet. SO, I made a door

This was this morning.The temp controller on the fridge is set at 67 degrees.The door works!

Workin!

Old 05-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
heferly
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How much does this bling cost? Looks awesome...

Old 05-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Nice one... I saw that on their site the other day... Going to be looking into it when I'm ready to brew 10 gallon batches.

Keep us posted on how it works out using the beastie...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 05-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
Layne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

heferly- not cheap, but at $569.00, its in line with most conicals,and I like this option better.

Golddiggie- will post updates.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
SankePankey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

I have one similar to that but made by synergybrew.com. It has a bottom dump, corny posts, and my thermowell is on the top cap. Other than that, samsies.

If you're not into closed-system pressure fermenting, well it's the bomb. Especially for your fermenter. That's what makes our 'conicals' better than any conical on the market, with the exception of the brewhemoth. You'll have to make an adjustable pressure relief valve to go with it, but..

I use a one to capture CO2 naturally in the primary, like many a brew pub does. For my method, I gang a corny keg off of my fermenter for a blow-off/yeast cropping vessel. It also being a pressure vessel, I can do my pressure ferments with this in line, and my spunding valve on it. Works like a charm. I put two short dip tubes in the corny (take the bev dip tube out) so that for racking, I can just push w/ CO2 from the corny, thru the blow-off tube, into the primary and then out the racking tube for racking to serving vessels. Then I depressurize the chain (slowly w/ the spunding valve) and collect the yeast cake right into the same vessel. All closed system. Also, because of the closed blow-off vessel, I can push the limits of final volumn in this thing. I'm doing 14.5 gals in it with maybe a quart or two of beer in the blow-off vessel after I'm done. The pressure fermenting keeps the krauesen lower than usual.

My ferm chambers are chest freezers on casters, so I don't have to lift anything with full volume. I'd think that with yours not having everything on the top, an upright is probably better. Without a thermowell, you're going to just have to tape a probe to the side for controlling ferm temp, which is fine. That's what I do for my other ferm vessel (a 15 gal corny keg). Unless you replace your pretty thermometer with a thermowell or get one welded to the top cap like I have. Probably what I would do. Then at that point, you could go with chest freezers. I didn't fancy putting an upright on casters. Not that I would off-road with them, but they roll around pretty good with big casters. And it helps to rouse yeast to shake the whole chamber a bit at the end of primary.

You'll enjoy it. Party on Wayne. (err Layne)

Old 05-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
RiverCityBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts

I have a Sabco and have probably done 20 beers in it so far... hasn't seen much action since the brewhemoth came in, but I can still give you some pointers none the less.

Pulling samples is super easy, just spray a bit of sanitizer into your bottom valve, attach sanitized hose (if needed), close your blowoff valve so it doesn't suck back and open the bottom valve and take your sample.

My favorite feature of the Sabco is the ability to rack/transfer under pressure. Simply attach C02 on the top valve, set your reg for 2-5psi, attach your sanitized hose to the bottom, connect to your target vessel, and let her rip. I really liked being able to perform fully closed transfers and it set the standard for what I look for in fermenters now.

Yeast harvesting is fairly easy as well... once you rack off all the clear beer you want, swirl the fermenter around a bit, turn the racking arm down to the bottom and push out the slurry into your yeast harvesting vessel and wash or simply re-pitch.

You might also be interested in pressure fermentation... look up Wortmonger's thread on it as it is super easy to do in the sabco as well.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:39 PM   #8
Layne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I'd like to put a thermowell in the place of the thermometer, so I can control the internal temp.
My johnson controler works fine on the fridge, but the internal temp is always higher, especiallly during early fermentation.

Does antbody know where I can get a 1/2" triclamp with a thermowell? I emailed sabco, but have not heard back yet.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
SankePankey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Brewershardware.com
or
Bargainfittings.com

Brewershardware is hard to pin down anymore for anything that is 'custom' but this isn't that custom. You might have to mail him a 1/2" tri-clamp.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:17 PM   #10
paledragon
Recipes 

your thermometer looks like it's 1 or 1.5" triclamp. the racking port is definitely 1/2". i had sabco custom weld a fermenter very similiar to this, and just finished up my first batch in it. like sankepankey, i use a chest freezer on wheels. i use a thermowell from breweryparts.com:

1.5" TC Thermowell

p.d.

keg 1: 3 hearted ale
keg 2: british strong ale
keg 3: munich helles
keg 4: empty

on deck: more IPA.

Quick Reply