Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > S. pastorianus versus S. uvarum (lager yeast)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
bb239605
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default S. pastorianus versus S. uvarum (lager yeast)

Anybody have any experience with S. uvarum? How does it compare to S. pastorianus, both in final product taste and fermentation requirements? I realize they are both bottom fermenting yeast other than that I have not been able to find too much on S. uvarum.

I saw that S. uvarum has an increased glycerol production, which leads to an increased mouthfeel, that it is used in the production of some wines, and Czechvar supposedly uses it.

I have brewed quite a few lagers but none using the S. uvarum strain, always S. patorianus (aka S. carlsbergensis).

For those of you that have used S. uvarum, where did you purchase it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply