The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > S-04 and sourness?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
deathtomacro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default S-04 and sourness?

Here's the stats:

Going for an English IPA
Mashed 10.5lbs of malt. Mashed at155F-156F Got 80% efficiency.

Hour and fifteen boil. Wort chilled to 62-64 degrees.
Pitched re-hydrated S-04 yeast and throughout fermentation the "fermometer" read 66-68F.
I go crazy sanitizing everything. My standards for sanitation never change from batch to batch. It was brewed on a Sunday and from when fermentation started (about five hours later) 24 - 30 hours go by and it was over. I didn't mess with it. I left to sit until the following Saturday, when I was planning on dry hopping it. I pulled a sample of beer and it's a little green tasting. Nice fruity esters and then this sourness. It's not pervasive. More than "slight" and less than "overbearing".

Aside from the sour tinge, I was concerned with it having such a high final gravity.
OG-1.060
FG-1.020
I know this strain leaves a higher FG, but come on!

It was still cloudy, so I know there are still a good bit of proteins and yeast in suspension that could be lending to the off flavor. Maybe I'm just tasting a really green beer?

Should I try to rouse the yeast back into suspension to try to get it to ferment out a little more?

Do you guys think this sourness at then end will taper off with time and cold conditioning?

Thanks for your help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
Ezekielsays
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've had a bit of what I assume is the same flavor you're describing, also when using s-04. I'm unsure of the cause, but I do think it has been fading slowly over time.

------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Rcole
Our system isn't broken- we're allowing it to rust out.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
deathtomacro
Recipes 

Maybe tartness is a better word for it than sour. I've gotten this bit of tartness from Fermentis T-58 as well as their WB-06. Of course, their S-05 is super clean.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

S-04 is notorious for this flavor. I call it the s04 "twang" as it reminds me of a funky greek yogurt. I don't use s-04 for that reason. Lower ferment temps will reduce it a bit, though I have to sample an s-04 beer that was completely devoid of this character. Some people will tell you it's just part of the yeast flavor or that you had a batch batch and s04 makes a very clean tasting beer. I have a hard time believing that!

Old 02-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
deathtomacro
Recipes 

I must say, that is quite disheartening.
Well, maybe two ounces of saaz will help hide that flavor. Probably not.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
cklages
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That is really interesting. Every now and then I run an extract kit, and the most recent was a cooper's stout. Instead of the coopers yeast and dextrose, I added DME and used S-04. It finished suprisingly high (like around 1.020). Unfortunately I then overcarbed it a bit. It seems that there is a sourness that I associated with the overcarbing, but it seems to hang around even after all the CO2 is knocked out.

I know that some sourness or tartness is desirable in a stout, but this seems just a little more than I enjoy. I just assumed that my overcarbing was the sole source of this flavour, but your post has me wondering. I wonder if Coopers adds some sourness assuming that you are using a relatively neutral yeast like what they attach to the cans, and the S-04 just put it over the top.

I still have several packets left, and I will be using them in my next few batches. I'm sure that in some recipes a slight, balanced tartness would be really desirable.

Thanks for your post, it gives me something else to think about when I'm selecting my yeast.

You are right about s-04 being a monster early on though. I had blowoff in under 12 hours on the last beer I made.

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.

Remember, nothing says 'good job' like a firm, open-palm slap on the behind.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
android
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i will never use s-04 again due to this flavor. i've ruined two beers with that yeast. i know a ton of people love it but the extra few bucks for a good liquid yeast is WELL worth it IMHO.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 02-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #8
deathtomacro
Recipes 

I'm finding bits and pieces about the tartness/sourness on other forums. There's too much from others having the same kind of results for it be an infected batch. Hmm...

Old 03-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
electronjunkie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Liquid yeast is not necessarily the answer.

I used S-04 and then did another ESB once again with whitbread/1099 and fermented it at 64*F according to the stickon therm on the side of my bucket. Both still had that tartness/twang. Pitched a huge starter, etc. It does subside with time but yuck. Do not use this in a Bitter/ESB etc. Stick with the Fullers strain from wyeast/whitelabs. It is much cleaner and more like the ESB's I have tasted

Old 03-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #10
deathtomacro
Recipes 

Electron, thanks for that info!

Quick Reply