Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > S-04 got me buggin...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2009, 06:14 PM   #21
smizak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I'm not passing any judgment on flavor yet, I know better.

What concerns me is the FG. You can kinda tell when a beer is done and hit terminal. The yeast has completely dropped out, been so for days. Now I got a 1.020 reading twice, two days apart. Just wondering if any S-04 gurus think this is standard for this yeast, or do I have to pick apart my process to find out what the hell I did wrong. I was under the impression that this strain attenuated fairly well and really fast. 68% is not attenuative IMHO. I mashed @ 153-154 BTW. Should be fairly fermentable.

And I have RDWHAHB'd. I'm not stressed, this will be beer after it's through, which is nothing to worry about. It's more about learning how this yeast behaves.

Thanx BTW guys!

"This song goes out to me because I'm so f*ckin' cool!"~John Reis

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #22
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

At 68%, you're on the lower limit of attenuation for this strain (I had to reference Wyeast 1099 since it is ostensibly the liquid version for that information). At 153-154° for your mash schedule, I'd say that is an expected degree of attenuation.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #23
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Thanx flyangler.

That makes sense. Given the amount of roasted grain and caramel malt in this stout that does seem to be in spec. I've actually used that liquid strain in a brown ale that didn't attenuate as well as I liked. I blamed the bunch of caramel malt I used in that one too.

I didn't know that S-04 was Whitbread.

"This song goes out to me because I'm so f*ckin' cool!"~John Reis

Quick Reply