Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > S-04 got me buggin...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009, 07:08 PM   #11
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 457 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Happiness is a tight yeast cake...

I loves me some S-04!
btw... it's brown because of the cocoa powder, not the yeast.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #12
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
What I'm worried about is having to sit through another mind-numbing, slight trickle, two hour sparge again to get this stout right. Damn oatmeal.
Try a combination beta-glucan/protein rest first - 122° for 20 minutes - and then infuse up to your saccharification rest.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:15 PM   #13
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

for a minute I was what the hell is he using an autosiphon and a vinyl hose ... Then it was slap the forehead its the autosiphon hose you moron...

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 10-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #14
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Anybody ever notice the temperature rise with this yeast as it starts to floc out?

It was a pretty steady 67F at full krausen, then after it dropped, the temp shot up to 71F or so. I thought it was very odd, then I read a post on the Northern Brewer forum that described the same thing. Some weird yeast.

Flyangler: I think the biggest problem was the instant oatmeal. It completely dissolved and formed a compact mud layer that would rise (or grain sink first below it) on top of the grain bed after a couple of minutes and prevent the sparge water from draining. Would a protein rest help it to mix into the grist better? I used some weird hippy-store organic instant oats, maybe that was the problem. Fun times standing in my garage staring at that stupid little trickle trying to fill my 10 gal. kettle.

On Deck: IPA
Primary 1: Air :-(
Primary 2: Air :-(
Primary 3: Air :-(
Primary 4: Air :-(

Bottled: Oatmeal Stout

Old 10-28-2009, 04:01 PM   #15
smizak
Recipes 

Update: Seems to be stuck at 1.020 after 8 days. Super estery. Crap. I think a minor temp fluctuation caused it to floc out too early. Gonna try rousing the fermenter. This beer has been a pain.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:26 PM   #16
Mainebrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Don't stress, I had my oatmeal stop a little over 1.020 and it was the best beer I brewed so far. The longer this beer matured the better the flavor and the roasted malts came out.

Have a porter on tap, and 10 gal of a ipa going to work. in the mean time I sip beers from all over from great beer trades. Have a ghoulship in the fridge now!!

Old 10-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #17
Mad_Milo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

What was your SG on this brew? 1.020 is not too far over as a finishing gravity for a big oatmeal stout. Also, the gravity should notch down a couple more points over the next week or three.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:53 PM   #18
smizak
Recipes 

OG was 1.063-> 1.020=68% attenuation which I guess isn't horrible for an English strain. Wanted it a little drier though. The sample tasted SWEET.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:01 PM   #19
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
OG was 1.063-> 1.020=68% attenuation which I guess isn't horrible for an English strain. Wanted it a little drier though. The sample tasted SWEET.
The thing to remember though is that if you are smelling or tasting this during fermentation not to worry. During fermentation all manner of stinky stuff is given off (ask lager brewers about rotten egg/sulphur smells, or Apfelwein makers about "rhino farts,") like we often say, fermentation is often ugly AND stinky and PERFECTLY NORMAL.

It's really only down the line, AFTER the beer has been fermented (and often after it has bottle conditioned even,) when you should consider using this or the off flavor charts to diagnose the beer.

I think too many new brewers focus to much on this stuff too early in the beer's journey. And they panic unnecessarily.

A lot of the stuff you smell/taste initially more than likely ends up disappearing either during a long primary/primary & secondary combo, Diacetyl rests and even during bottle conditioning.

If I find a flavor/smell, I usually wait til it's been in the bottle 6 weeks before I try to "diagnose" what went wrong, that way I am sure the beer has passed any window of greenness.

Fementation is often ugly, smelly and crappy tasting in the beginning and perfectly normal. The various conditioning phases, be it long primary, secondarying, D-rests, bottle conditioning, AND LAGERING, are all part of the process where the yeast, and co2 correct a lot of the normal production of the byproducts of fermentation.

Lagering is a prime example of this. Lager yeast are prone to the production of a lot of byproducts, the most familiar one is sulphur compounds (rhino farts) but in the dark cold of the lagering process, which is at the minimum of a month (I think many homebrewers don't lager long enough) the yeast slowly consumes all those compounds which results in extremely clean tasting beers if done skillfully.

Ales have their own version of this, but it's all the same.

If you are sampling your beer before you have passed a 'window of greeness" which my experience is about 3-6 weeks in the bottle, then you are more than likely just experiencing an "off flavor" due to the presence of those byproducts (that's what we mean when we say the beer is "green" it's still young and unconditioned.) but once the process is done, over 90% of the time the flavors/smells are gone.

Of the remaining 10%, half of those may still be salvageable through the long time storage that I mention in the Never dump your beer!!! Patience IS a virtue!!! Time heals all things, even beer:

And the remaining 50% of the last 10% are where these tables and lists come into play. To understand what you did wrong, so you can avoid it in the future.

Long story short....I betcha that smell/flavor will be long gone when the beer is carbed and conditioned.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #20
Mad_Milo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

RDWHAHB. You're beer is only 8 days old!

Quick Reply