*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > S-04 dead?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
AviatorTroy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default S-04 dead?

Brewed a Berliner W last week, let it sour for about four days with laco, then boiled Sunday night and pitched Monday morning. So 2 and a half days have gone by and NO airlock activity, no krausen, no nothing.

Did not use a starter, (it says you don't have to)

I pitched at about 70 and may have let the wort get down a little low (58 or so) but its in the mid 60s now.

I have only used dry yeast a couple of times but don't ever remember it taking this long to start. Now I'm out of town. I have a packet of SA-05 in the fridge for emergencies, if there's no activity by this evening I may ask the girl to throw it in there. What do you guys think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 93

How about taking a grav. reading? Dry yeast is almost NEVER dead. It's all I use.

"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."

Old 07-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
AviatorTroy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh yea, sorry forgot to mention that I did take a gravity reading and it did drop a few points, but I understand that could be from the lacto as well.

(After some thought, I did re pitch some more lacto after the boil with the yeast, in the hopes that from what I've read of that style, that it will continue to sour in the bottles later as it ages)

Old 07-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
ak40kush
Recipes 

Im having problems right now with my SA-05 and no airlock activity either. I'll be pitching some emergency slurry I have, its a bit old but should help.

Punk Rock Brewer

Old 07-21-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
Brewed a Berliner W last week, let it sour for about four days with laco, then boiled Sunday night and pitched Monday morning. So 2 and a half days have gone by and NO airlock activity, no krausen, no nothing.

Did not use a starter, (it says you don't have to)

I pitched at about 70 and may have let the wort get down a little low (58 or so) but its in the mid 60s now.

I have only used dry yeast a couple of times but don't ever remember it taking this long to start. Now I'm out of town. I have a packet of SA-05 in the fridge for emergencies, if there's no activity by this evening I may ask the girl to throw it in there. What do you guys think?
From what I've read usually you pitch your brewers yeast then pitch your bugs, maybe I'm wrong but I'd think that once the bugs take hold they would eat anything else you put in there before it had time to get moving.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 07-21-2010, 06:52 PM   #6
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
Oh yea, sorry forgot to mention that I did take a gravity reading and it did drop a few points, but I understand that could be from the lacto as well.

(After some thought, I did re pitch some more lacto after the boil with the yeast, in the hopes that from what I've read of that style, that it will continue to sour in the bottles later as it ages)
Cool. Well, I have no exp. with sour beers, so I don't have anything furthur to add except that I use S-04 and 05 for 95% of the beers I brew, and I never had any issues. Good luck...

"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."

Old 07-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I pitched S-04 on a batch Saturday and it was really slow for the first few days. It finally took off yesterday morning and is bubbling steadily now, but that's the first time I've had that issue with S-04 and I've used it a bunch.

Quick Reply