The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Ryan's "Watery" Face-Puncher IPA Extract Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #11
AmandaK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Hmm... the crush is an interesting theory. Did you take an OG reading? If so, what was it?

Also, Zythos should be just fine for dry hopping. It's a blend of other popular PNW hops. Perhaps the temperature swings in the keg (60-80*) encouraged the dry hopping to subside quicker then you were planning.

Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #12
jambafish
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Midterm report.

So I brewed up more grain and added another 2 oz. of whole leaf hops. Waited a week and it poured like light chocolate milk and tasted horrible. I though I'd ruined it, but continued to wait.

Took a gravity a couple days later and it had cleared significantly and tasted more delicate, but still as if there isn't enough alcohol. *I did take an OG, but the numbers don't make sense because it really tastes like there is no alcohol. (And sorry, I don't have them on me right now, but I will post them later.)

On Sunday I added gelatin, on Monday evening I put it in the cooler to crash. Tuesday evening I began force carbing for a party on Saturday. I should be able to drain off all the residual on Friday and see how it turned out. Keeping fingers crossed for this Frankenstein ale.

If it borks I'll remove CO2 over the course of a week, sit at room temperature, add a tad more yeast, and put it away for a month. I'm not giving up on this one.

Tap: DIPA, oaked Baltic porter, XXX pale ale, dark IPA

Bottle: vanilla kombucha, oaked puh-er kombucha, blueberry kombucha,

Primary: rose hip kombucha, oaked honey and oolong kombucha, hopped kombucha brewed with green tea infused with cab. grapes

Old 07-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
jambafish
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Reporting back again. The beer clarified, sweetened and turned out pretty good. It's certainly not a DIPA, more of a pale. It's not a bad beer after all, but not a go to in terms of my current lineup. So the changes fixed it and made it drinkable, which is amazing.

Tap: DIPA, oaked Baltic porter, XXX pale ale, dark IPA

Bottle: vanilla kombucha, oaked puh-er kombucha, blueberry kombucha,

Primary: rose hip kombucha, oaked honey and oolong kombucha, hopped kombucha brewed with green tea infused with cab. grapes

Quick Reply