Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Russian Imperial Stout tastes too hoppy and thin

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 03:42 AM   #1
foxyaardvark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Russian Imperial Stout tastes too hoppy and thin

I have a Russian Imperial Stout that has been bottle aging for about 3 months. It's not bad but the hops are way too powerful and it just tastes kind of thin and is lacking complexity. Will that hop flavor diminish with time a great deal? Will I get a thicker and richer tasting beer if I just wait?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 03:56 AM   #2
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Nope. Unless it has strong alcohol flavors it's probably as good as its gonna get.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:08 AM   #3
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I disagree with the poster above to a certain degree. Some of the hop flavor will fade over time. If you used a ton of hops three months isn't really that much time. Will it get richer and thicker though? Maybe it will be perceived as this with a bit of diminished hop presence. Maybe not...

If you post your recipe I think people would have a better indication as to how it will turn out in the end.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 12-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

As inhousebrew said, the hops will fade with time, though we don't know how much you used. If you hopped the living hell out of it, it will diminish but still dominate the beer. If it tastes thin now, it will likely stay that way.

You should have tasted it before bottling and adjusted it if necessary. I had a RIS a couple of years ago that fermented down too far and was too dry for me. I added lactose at bottling and it worked like a charm. Perhaps the best beer I currently have. I like my Imperial Stouts chewy, though...

Old 12-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The hop flavor and aroma should definitely fade somewhat, but if you find it too be too much now, you'll probably still feel it's too much later. As much as I love hops, I really don't care for hoppiness in stouts all that much, so I generally just add a bittering addition and leave it at that.

As for being too thin... has it carbonated fully yet? Flat beer can give the impression of a thin and watery beer. If it IS fully carbonated, it is, in all likelihood, an issue of mashing at too low a temperature. I would have done this around 155 degrees, if not higher. If you think you did, I would check your thermometer to make sure it's accurate. Now that it's in bottles you probably don't want to add anything to them, but maltodextrin or lactose are both good unfermentables that will add body.

Quick Reply