Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Runaway fermentation getting stuck

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankvw View Post
Well, the long and the short of it is that after two weeks of apparent non-activity in secondary fermentation, the gravity of the wort had come down from 1030 to 1019. At that point I kegged the beer, pressurizing the keg with a bit of CO2, and I gave it another three weeks. After that the keg pressure had gone up, proof that further fermentation did take place in the keg. More to the point, the beer was fine! It's actually one of my best sweet stouts so far, although the flavour profile of the S33 is not quite right, IMO. I will look for a yeast that fits the style better, but in the meantime I've got a perfecly drinkable beer. At the very least I will redo this under better temperature controlled conditions.

Apparently S33 is rather temperature sensitive, not to say temperamental.

But fear ye not, methinks. :-) If your wort is clear and your gravity within acceptable limits, bottle/keg, mature, and drink. The beer should be fine. If the gravity is still too high, give it some time for more (secondary) fermentation and all should end well.

Cheers 'n beers!

// FvW
so you had moved the beer to a secondary and it slowed to a crawl? if so that's not surprising. there are tons of "i moved the beer to the secondary and it's stuck what should i do?" threads. leave the beer on the yeast until it's done.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
frankvw
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak View Post
so you had moved the beer to a secondary and it slowed to a crawl? if so that's not surprising. there are tons of "i moved the beer to the secondary and it's stuck what should i do?" threads. leave the beer on the yeast until it's done.
No, no. Read the original post. While in primary, the initial fermentation was volcanic, then dropped dead. In due time the beer was secondaried (as I do with all my beers) but that was after the primary fermentation had fallen flat on its face.

I am aware that primary and secondary fermentation are quite different of character and vigorousness. I have done a few brews before this one, you know.

Cheers!

// FvW

Old 06-20-2013, 03:12 AM   #13
Foothiller
Recipes 

Thanks, frankvw. Mine settled back down after a couple of days, and now the yeast islands are gradually settling. My issue must have just been the hot weather for the couple of days. I'll bottle this early next week, hopefully with as good results as yours.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #14
tommysauder
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I bottled a batch of S33 that I thought stopped after sitting 2 weeks (was at 1.021). A bit higher than I anticipated but didn't move. Moved to bottles (thick ones thank God), and after 2 weeks conditioning, 1/3 were drinkable, the rest just exploded as I popped the lid to the point there wasn't a drop left in the bottle .

Needless to say I've had mainly good beers with S33 ranging from wheats to ales, but am experimenting with other yeasts because of my lost batch due to S33 unpredictability.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:58 AM   #15
Foothiller
Recipes 

Tommysauder - Yikes! "Gusher" sounds like an understatement.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #16
tommysauder
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

It was... I understand gushers foam up and you lose usually 1/4 of the bottle, my bottles were 1L and it all gushed out lol

Quick Reply