Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Rogue Proprietary Pacman Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2009, 02:02 AM   #1
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Default Rogue Proprietary Pacman Yeast

Suprisingly enough for how much beer I have drank and brewed in my life tonight I had my first rogue brew. I bought a sixer of the dead guy ale. I can't believe it's an ale. Really nice maibock, german octoberfest thing going on. So I went online and found that they use "pacman" yeast. I thought enough of this beer that I decided to harvest the yeast from the sediment on the bottom of the bottles. I made up a starter and am decanting the yeast from the bottles into the room temp starter after the yeast warms to room temp.

I looked it up and this yeast is supposed to ferment like crazy and tolerate 45-75 degree fermentation temps?

Does anybody have any experience with this yeast? Sounds to me like the best of both worlds! Ferment cold if you want clean crisp lager, ferment warmer for ales.

wish me luck on my yeast harvesting...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2009, 02:07 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You can start with the threads below in the similar threads box (there's a huge amount of threads on pacman on this forum) as well as look for the threads on harvesting. Many of us have done it over the last couple of years.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/pacman-yeast-starter-video-63855/?highlight=pacman+video

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-24-2009, 02:09 AM   #3
beltbuckle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I haven't hearf 45 degrees but John Maier has said in interviews of The BN's Can You Brew It that it will go as low as 55. I know the Rogue stout is easily found and has live Pacman for harvesting. Also Wyeast has Pacman seasonally. It really is a maltose mowing monster.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:10 AM   #4
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My impressions are the same as yours. It sounds like a miracle yeast. I can tell you that I have brewed two beers with it. One is a dead guy clone which is carbonating and I will get to taste it in a few weeks. The other is an IPA which is still blowing off. You should know, however, that wyeast sells it. You don't have to culture it from the bottle. I am going to keep it going as my house yeast, provided I like the results, for as long as I can.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 12-24-2009, 02:16 AM   #5
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

bottle harvested pacman at work, it can be done.

On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 12-24-2009, 02:52 AM   #6
permo
Recipes 

Man, I am excited. I currently have my house ale yeast which I derrived from S-04 and US-05 fermented together, Kolsch and nottingham washed yeast jars in my refrigerator. I think the pacman will be a nice addition.......outside of that I think I would like a nice belgian strain. Any reccomendations?

It sounds to me like this pacman yeast is similar to nottingham in its attenuation, floculation and temp range. Am I missing something here?

Old 12-24-2009, 02:57 AM   #7
Mongo64
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been using this for the last couple brews. So far I'm liking the results. I'm fermenting at 60 and doing a ramp up to 64 at the end. One thing about this yeast is that it flocculates like crazy and has the consistency of thick peanut butter. I had to scrape the bottom of the container to harvest the yeast.

You can buy the yeast from http://www.homebrewheaven.com/

Old 12-24-2009, 03:12 AM   #8
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I used it on a brew that has just finished up. It will work well until about 54ish degrees in my little experimentation. After that, it will go dormant. From what I've read, Rogue uses it at different temps for different beers. Makes sense since yeasts tend to do different things and have different reactions at different temps.

And I started mine from a few bottles of mocha porter. Worked well.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:24 AM   #9
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have used the Wyeast Pacman purchaed locally at Homebrew Heaven. I did not try to drive it down to low temps but did a standard ferment on a mid gravity IPA at about 67-68 deg.

Pacman is an aggressive fermentor and chewed several gravity points lower than I would have gotten with say a Cali Ale yeast like WLP001/Wyeast 1056. Like I said I had a mid gravity IPA that BeerSmith projected to go to about 1.015 on finish, which is about what I would have expected with Cali Ale. I think the Pacman took it to 1.012. It had a good amount of crystal so it still had a good taste. So be prepared for a strong ferment, likely blowoff, and a somehwhat dry finished product.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 12-24-2009, 03:59 AM   #10
permo
Recipes 

So can you possibly manage the amount of attenuation with mash temp and fermentation temp? I really like the flavor profile of deadguy, it has the munich backbone that i can easily recognize, but there as an earthy almost dirt like tone to it that I can't think but comes from the yeast. I can't wait to get my hands on a cake of this stuff to wash. I hope my yeast farming works!

I have another question about brewing this beer. I will give it two weeks on primary at 60 degrees or so...what do I do after that? Bottle and age? I am thinking I lager it for 6 weeks but that is just me. What do you think?

Last edited by permo; 12-24-2009 at 04:21 AM.

Quick Reply