Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Fermentation & Yeast (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/)
-   -   Rogue pacman yeast (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/rogue-pacman-yeast-158818/)

chemman14 01-23-2010 08:16 PM

Rogue pacman yeast
 
What are your thoughts? I was thinking about using this for the Old Monster barleywine from Brewing Classic Styles. The book calls for wyeast American ale or white labs California. Also, does anyone know why wyeast doesn't make this strain year-around?

Brewmasters Warehouse 01-23-2010 08:25 PM

I think it would work fine for that recipe. Some stores like mine, Austin Homebrew, and Rebelbrewer, etc. do carry it all year round. You just can not buy it directly from Wyeast all year round. I do not think you will see it offered directly from Wyeast all year round because the strain is Rouge's yeast.

Ed

chemman14 01-23-2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewmasters Warehouse (Post 1832205)
I think it would work fine for that recipe. Some stores like mine, Austin Homebrew, and Rebelbrewer, etc. do carry it all year round. You just can not buy it directly from Wyeast all year round. I do not think you will see it offered directly from Wyeast all year round because the strain is Rouge's yeast.

Ed

when you say you carry it all year around, how is that possible? is it just older, yeast?

Brewmasters Warehouse 01-23-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chemman14 (Post 1832209)
when you say you carry it all year around, how is that possible? is it just older, yeast?

No it is not older yeast, but fresh yeast that is available through a distributor that Rouge has approved to sell it. When Pacman is not available through Wyeast, Wyeast still sells Pacman to 1 distributor, who in turn sells it to homebrew stores. If a homebrew store does not do business with that distributor or decides not to sell it then they will not have it year round.

chemman14 01-23-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewmasters Warehouse (Post 1832234)
No it is not older yeast, but fresh yeast that is available through a distributor that Rouge has approved to sell it. When Pacman is not available through Wyeast, Wyeast still sells Pacman to 1 distributor, who in turn sells it to homebrew stores. If a homebrew store does not do business with that distributor or decides not to sell it then they will not have it year round.

ah, I see that makes sense. good to know

Lenny2884 01-23-2010 09:15 PM

I've used the Pacman yeast on 3 separate occasions, 2 IPAs and 1 American Amber. I enjoyed it in each beer. I love all Rogue beers and that distinct Rogue character came through in each of the beers I brewed with the Pacman. Everything I read about it said it would eat everything in sight, similar to WLP 001. However, from my experience I got 74% attenuation with the Pacman and close to 80% attenuation with 001. Your system could yield different results but when I first tried Pacman I was expecting an attenuation closer to WLP001. I fermented with the Pacman between 65 and 68 degrees, however John Maier from Rogue says they ferment all their ales with Pacman at 60 degrees. I may try the pacman again and ferment at 60 to see the difference in the final product. Just my $.02. If you enjoy Rogue beers I say definitely give it a try.

chemman14 01-24-2010 10:03 AM

hmm i see. Maybe I will stick with the american ale yeast

redfox 01-24-2010 12:42 PM

someone told me that WLP 041 is the same strain.

true?

david_42 01-24-2010 01:17 PM

No, Wyeast is the yeast repository for Pacman and the only supplier. WLP 041 has lower attenuation, lower alcohol tolerance and more fruitiness.

Pacman is in the Winter Private Collection this year and available now.

redfox 01-24-2010 02:26 PM

Thank you, david 42.

guess I'll take that lhbs's advice with a grain of salt in the future.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:22 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.