New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Reviving an old starter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
phuff7129
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Default Reviving an old starter

On December 1, 2012 I made a 2 liter starter with wyeast 1272 American Ale 2 yeast. This is for a 1.070 IPA I was going to do. I did it on a stir plate with a shot of 02. I've done a lot of starters and I use Mr Malty to calculate pitch rate. I was supposed to brew the beer the first week of December and I had to go out of town expectedly so the starter has been sitting in my fridge since ever since. I know I can decant and step it up but I do not know how to calculate pitch rate off of a starter that has been sitting in the fridge for almost 2 months. I am thinking about just stepping it up with a 1 liter starter and hoping that is enough yeast, or am I better off doing another 2 liter starter and possible over pitching? I am sure someone else out there has been through this. Any ideas are appreciated.

This might be the beer talking....but I really love beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
LAbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuff7129 View Post
On December 1, 2012 I made a 2 liter starter with wyeast 1272 American Ale 2 yeast. This is for a 1.070 IPA I was going to do. I did it on a stir plate with a shot of 02. I've done a lot of starters and I use Mr Malty to calculate pitch rate. I was supposed to brew the beer the first week of December and I had to go out of town expectedly so the starter has been sitting in my fridge since ever since. I know I can decant and step it up but I do not know how to calculate pitch rate off of a starter that has been sitting in the fridge for almost 2 months. I am thinking about just stepping it up with a 1 liter starter and hoping that is enough yeast, or am I better off doing another 2 liter starter and possible over pitching? I am sure someone else out there has been through this. Any ideas are appreciated.
On yeastcalc if you input the cell count that you made in December and the date you made it on the yeast properties pop up, you can plug the next step in the 1st step section. I get 1 L for a stir plate.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
phuff7129
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAbrewer View Post
On yeastcalc if you input the cell count that you made in December and the date you made it on the yeast properties pop up, you can plug the next step in the 1st step section. I get 1 L for a stir plate.
Thanks alot. I was not familiar with the yeast calc website. That certainly answers my question. Thanks again!

This might be the beer talking....but I really love beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply