Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Reusing yeast - without washing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 03:56 AM   #41
earwig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

oh and something else that's comical; Chris White from White Labs wrote a book about yeast and the "art" of rinsing/cleaning it... Yet we are supposed to listen to someone on a forum who says something with no source?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 04:06 AM   #42
Raenon
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig View Post
I'm sorry but what I stated is fact.
You're still beating that drum, huh?
Just because you espouse it frequently, and loudly, doesn't make your opinion any more valuable.

Others in this thread have stated their opinion, and personal findings, that side-by-side brews using different yeast preservation methods presented identical results.
You're stating the opinion that there will be some difference of unknown quantity or quality, that makes your method superior to all others.

Seems the burden of proof is on your side of this debate, since you're the only one claiming a fact.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:22 AM   #43
earwig

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenon View Post
You're still beating that drum, huh?
Just because you espouse it frequently, and loudly, doesn't make your opinion any more valuable.

Others in this thread have stated their opinion, and personal findings, that side-by-side brews using different yeast preservation methods presented identical results.
You're stating the opinion that there will be some difference of unknown quantity or quality, that makes your method superior to all others.

Seems the burden of proof is on your side of this debate, since you're the only one claiming a fact.
no, its a fact that putting varying amounts of yeast with hop particles and trub affects taste . You listen to people on here and I'll listen to pros :-) there are many podcasts and articles by people like Gordon Strong, John Palmer and jamil zainasheff etc. That I read and listen to often... They discuss these topics. Do what you want but at least try to back it up with a source if you give it as advice.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:21 AM   #44
bcryan
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig

no, its a fact that putting varying amounts of yeast with hop particles and trub affects taste . You listen to people on here and I'll listen to pros :-) there are many podcasts and articles by people like Gordon Strong, John Palmer and jamil zainasheff etc. That I read and listen to often... They discuss these topics. Do what you want but at least try to back it up with a source if you give it as advice.
Could you please send us the link to the podcast?

Old 03-14-2012, 05:25 AM   #45
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
i don't see how trub affects the flavor of beer in a negative way, or any way for that matter. i don't think people are pitching rotten trub/yeast into their beer and if it didn't cause an off flavor in the first beer when does it start causing off flavors? the second or third? the 4th? if people are reusing unwashed yeast and making excellent beer who can argue with that? same goes for the washed yeast crowd, you can't go wrong either way. just because a commercial brewer does or does not do it is irrelevant to me because the proof is in MY pudding.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:17 AM   #46
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Getting heated in here boys.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 03-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #47
earwig

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcryan View Post
Could you please send us the link to the podcast?
some good ones are at beersmith.com click the link at the top for podcast.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #48
earwig

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak View Post
i don't see how trub affects the flavor of beer in a negative way, or any way for that matter. i don't think people are pitching rotten trub/yeast into their beer and if it didn't cause an off flavor in the first beer when does it start causing off flavors? the second or third? the 4th? if people are reusing unwashed yeast and making excellent beer who can argue with that? same goes for the washed yeast crowd, you can't go wrong either way. just because a commercial brewer does or does not do it is irrelevant to me because the proof is in MY pudding.
I never said great beer wasn't being made. I said pitching it with trub makes it difficult to know how much yeast you are really pitching. I also said it would be hard to replicate a recipe since it would be very difficult to get the conditions the same.

A lot of how a beer's flavor comes out is determined from the yeast health and amount. If you are putting a "scoop" of yeast in your beer with both yeast and trub that is going to vary from time to time so you'll be pitching a different amount that was produced under different conditions if you want to brew the same beer in 2 years. It would make it very difficult to give your receipe to someone else to brew as well.

People are talking about just pitching the yeast and trub without mentioning that you shouldn't reuse it if the gravity of a previous batch was over 1.065 or how going from a lighter to a darker beer is prefered etc. This tells me that they don't know or don't care...which is fine, but as I said earlier not ideal.

I'm on my phone so I apologize if I have 20 typos.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #49
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 425

Quote:
Commercial breweries wash their yeast. I'm not sure what you are talking about.
I'm talking about personal experience working in about a dozen breweries over a lot of years, including a few I am sure you have heard of; Rogue, Bell's and Breckenridge... never once have I seen anyone wash yeast... one colleague mentioned doing an acid wash ONCE and decided it was too much of a PITA... always just harvest and pitch. I am not talking about pitching a bunch of trub as you seem to be suggesting... whether harvesting from a Unitank or a 5 gallon bucket it is easy to get good yeast out while leaving most of the chunks behind.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 03-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #50
earwig

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wailingguitar View Post
I'm talking about personal experience working in about a dozen breweries over a lot of years, including a few I am sure you have heard of; Rogue, Bell's and Breckenridge... never once have I seen anyone wash yeast... one colleague mentioned doing an acid wash ONCE and decided it was too much of a PITA... always just harvest and pitch. I am not talking about pitching a bunch of trub as you seem to be suggesting... whether harvesting from a Unitank or a 5 gallon bucket it is easy to get good yeast out while leaving most of the chunks behind.
the people here were talking about pitching an unspecified amount "scooped" up. The breweries you mention use conical fermenters that allow you to run out the trub from the bottom before collecting the good yeast that would follow. At home scooping up a bunch and putting it in another beer is just not ideal. I mentioned earlier that mr malty's pitch rate calculator only goes up to 25% non-yeast. If you are pitching a scoop of trub and yeast there's no way the non-yeast amount will be under 25%.

Quick Reply