Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Reusing yeast - without washing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 02:33 AM   #31
earwig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wailingguitar View Post
your friend's method is essentially what you would see in most commercial breweries, scale and equipment differences not withstanding. No issues to speak of.
Commercial breweries wash their yeast. I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Read this page on harvesting yeast: http://www.wyeastlab.com/com-yeast-harvest.cfm

If you are pitching trub and garbage from previous beers and not washing your yeast you are not producing the best beer you can

If you are happy with your method of pitching trub and garbage in with your yeast that's fine... but it is not ideal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 02:34 AM   #32
earwig

Recipes 

From the wyeast page:
Yeast Evaluation: Only harvest yeast from fermentations that have exhibited normal fermentation characteristics. Always evaluate the yeast slurry as it is harvested. The slurry should appear thick and creamy with very little trub and no “off” flavors and aromas. Strong sulfur or phenolic aromas indicate possible problems with either sanitation or stress. Yeast should be tested for purity if possible and checked for viability and cell density. If there are any concerns over the health or purity of a culture, DO NOT USE IT!

Old 03-14-2012, 02:45 AM   #33
BurntOrngeLonghorn84
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig View Post
From the wyeast page:
Yeast Evaluation: Only harvest yeast from fermentations that have exhibited normal fermentation characteristics. Always evaluate the yeast slurry as it is harvested. The slurry should appear thick and creamy with very little trub and
no “off” flavors and aromas. Strong sulfur or phenolic aromas indicate possible problems with either sanitation or stress. Yeast should be tested for purity if possible and checked for viability and cell density. If there are any concerns over the health or purity of a culture, DO NOT USE IT!
Consider the source. Reused yeast is a lost sale to them. Also, that doesn't say "do not repitch yeast", it says don't repitch unhealthy yeast. Most repitch from normal fermentations.

I use the mason jar trick mentioned previously.

Primary: ----Air----
Secondary: ----Air----
Bottled: AHS Anniversary Wit, AHS Irish Red Ale, Ed Wort Haus Pale Ale

Ferm Chamber

Old 03-14-2012, 02:47 AM   #34
earwig

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntOrngeLonghorn84 View Post
Consider the source. Reused yeast is a lost sale to them. Also, that doesn't say "do not repitch yeast", it says don't repitch unhealthy yeast. Most repitch from normal fermentations.

They say repitching yeast up to 10 times is possible... they aren't trying to get you to buy more yeast. They say to pitch trub-free yeast. Anyone who thinks pitching trub with their yeast is a good practice is misguided

Old 03-14-2012, 02:50 AM   #35
earwig

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntOrngeLonghorn84 View Post

The very first line on their harvesting page:

Harvesting and re-pitching yeast is a common practice in most breweries. Brewers should be able to re-use yeast for at least 7 generations and often as many as 10 generations if good harvesting and storage practices are followed. Harvesting and re-pitching yeast is a great way to spread the cost of the culture over many brews. The particular method of harvest will depend upon the yeast strain used and brewery configuration, however the principles will remain consistent.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:56 AM   #36
pm5k00
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
mrmalty assumes you are using washed yeast that's why the percentage of non-yeast in the default calculation is low. Slurry is suspended yeast in the liquid usually separated from the trub and other garbage.

Why anyone would want to dump all that crap in their beer is beyond me. It will also be very difficult to replicate a recipe if you like it; how will you repeat conditions that are almost impossible to measure down the road?
15% is the default for non yeast percentage for slurry, mr malty doesn't assume anything, as its an adjustable setting so you can make it work for your situation.

Also I have not found it difficult at all to replicate a recipe using slurry vs new yeast as I stated in previous post in this thread, no difference in taste/aroma/color/ect...

Quote:
If you are pitching trub and garbage from previous beers and not washing your yeast you are not producing the best beer you can

If you are happy with your method of pitching trub and garbage in with your yeast that's fine... but it is not ideal.
As I just stated there is no difference in the final product IMHO, as I have done side by side comparisons before... Not the best or ideal is your opinion, not a fact, and as you have already seen there are many other people on this thread who do not share your opinion.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:07 AM   #37
earwig

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm5k00 View Post
15% is the default for non yeast percentage for slurry, mr malty doesn't assume anything, as its an adjustable setting so you can make it work for your situation.

Also I have not found it difficult at all to replicate a recipe using slurry vs new yeast as I stated in previous post in this thread, no difference in taste/aroma/color/ect...

As I just stated there is no difference in the final product IMHO, as I have done side by side comparisons before... Not the best or ideal is your opinion, not a fact, and as you have already seen there are many other people on this thread who do not share your opinion.
umm... Mr Malty's non yeast content only goes up to 25%. If you're pitching everything the trub etc could easily be more than that. That tells me its assuming the yeast is clean. I'm not trying to be rude but people are just listening to others here and repeating nonsense in many cases.

if you aren't repeating a procedure exactly as before there is a difference. Beers get over 400 flavors from yeast alone.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:28 AM   #38
Raenon
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
umm... Mr Malty's non yeast content only goes up to 25%. If you're pitching everything the trub etc could easily be more than that. That tells me its assuming the yeast is clean. I'm not trying to be rude but people are just listening to others here and repeating nonsense in many cases.

if you aren't repeating a procedure exactly as before there is a difference. Beers get over 400 flavors from yeast alone.
If there is a difference so small that it isn't detectable by the beer-holder, it isn't a difference that matters.

pm5k00 just stated that his beers taste identical in side by side comparisons, and noted that either side of the argument is opinion. Even the two large yeast producers cited in this thread seem to have differing opinions on the subject.
You may not be trying to be rude, but you're accomplishing it nonetheless when you push your own opinion as fact, and attack ("repeating nonsense") instead of debate.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:48 AM   #39
earwig

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenon View Post
If there is a difference so small that it isn't detectable by the beer-holder, it isn't a difference that matters.

pm5k00 just stated that his beers taste identical in side by side comparisons, and noted that either side of the argument is opinion. Even the two large yeast producers cited in this thread seem to have differing opinions on the subject.
You may not be trying to be rude, but you're accomplishing it nonetheless when you push your own opinion as fact, and attack ("repeating nonsense") instead of debate.
I'm sorry but what I stated is fact. Let pm5k00 give you a recipe to try that he likes and let me know how you handle the yeast pitching for it when he pitched his from who-knows-what previous brew.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:55 AM   #40
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Still think the only way to get trub-free yeast is to make a big starter with fresh yeast and safe some of it back, only way.

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Quick Reply