Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Reusing yeast - without washing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #21
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Chris White of White Labs addressed this in an interview. The very high level summary is that the optimal thing for yeast health is to separate it from the trub by washing (really rinsing, washing would be using acid to clean up bacteria). HOWEVER, in his opinion, the risk of contamination involved in rinsing (as there is contamination risks any time you handle the yeast) outweighs the yeast health benefit.

He also said if you have a process that works for you, go ahead and keep doing it. So by all means, if you've had luck rinsing or not rinsing, go on rinsing or not rinsing. I rinse, now I just know that I'm doing it against the advice of a yeast guru.

Fake it til you make it.

pm5k00 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #22
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1576 Times on 1192 Posts
Likes Given: 2827

Quote:
Originally Posted by discnjh View Post
Chris White of White Labs addressed this in an interview. The very high level summary is that the optimal thing for yeast health is to separate it from the trub by washing (really rinsing, washing would be using acid to clean up bacteria). HOWEVER, in his opinion, the risk of contamination involved in rinsing (as there is contamination risks any time you handle the yeast) outweighs the yeast health benefit.

He also said if you have a process that works for you, go ahead and keep doing it. So by all means, if you've had luck rinsing or not rinsing, go on rinsing or not rinsing. I rinse, now I just know that I'm doing it against the advice of a yeast guru.
Awesome addition Oh yeast ranchero.

That speaks volumes. That and the fact that 99% of my beer turns out so freaking awesome without ever being washed.

"Thanks but when should I put employees in? This is my first time trying to add a flavor like this to a beer so I'm kinda clueless...."

-EMPLOYEE FLAVORED BEER........

(my new hero....) pbohanna

Old 03-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #23
taa800
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm5k00 View Post
I have used slurry that was well over a year old before, it was stored in my kegerator at 30*F. Just make a starter with it and your good to go. I currently have 8 strains that I save this way.
When you say slurry, does that mean unwashed yeast?

Old 03-13-2012, 10:29 PM   #24
pm5k00
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by taa800

When you say slurry, does that mean unwashed yeast?
Yes. After racking the beer from the fermenter to a keg, I dump the yeast and small amount of leftover beer into my sanitized botteling bucket, swirl around to get to a liquid consistency, adding distilled water if necessary and then fill a clean bottle or two. Use a lighter to sterilize the opening of the bottle then cap and freeze.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #25
taa800
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So from what I've learned by everyone's replies, there are many ways to do this. Right now I have 3 pint jars of 1098 in the fridge. I think I'll wash one of them to see how it looks compared to the other two. Then I'll use them and see if I can taste a difference. I won't use a starter either, more because I'm lazy than anything else.

This was a great discussion. Thanks everyone.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:05 AM   #26
earwig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm5k00 View Post
Sure you can. The calculator at Mrmalty.com even has an option for pitching from slurry.
mrmalty assumes you are using washed yeast that's why the percentage of non-yeast in the default calculation is low. Slurry is suspended yeast in the liquid usually separated from the trub and other garbage.

Why anyone would want to dump all that crap in their beer is beyond me. It will also be very difficult to replicate a recipe if you like it; how will you repeat conditions that are almost impossible to measure down the road?

Old 03-14-2012, 01:18 AM   #27
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Up until recently (2012), I simply scooped out the yeast using a sanitized spoon and placed it into sterilized mason jars. I then stored the mason jars in the refrigerator until the next time I needed that yeast strain. I've now switched over to washing yeast. I haven't noticed any difference, but I do feel more professional.

To be a bit more serious, I think the yeast will be of a more consistent quality and last longer. I am however, running out of room in my refrigerator!

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 03-14-2012, 01:21 AM   #28
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 396 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by discnjh View Post
Chris White of White Labs addressed this ....in his opinion, the risk of contamination involved in rinsing (as there is contamination risks any time you handle the yeast) outweighs the yeast health benefit.
very interesting....this pairs very well with my lazy brewer mantra

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 03-14-2012, 01:25 AM   #29
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 416

your friend's method is essentially what you would see in most commercial breweries, scale and equipment differences not withstanding. No issues to speak of.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 03-14-2012, 01:32 AM   #30
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Why even wash yeast at all, just make a hugh starter with fesh yeast and hold some back out of a fresh starter, No off favors and nothing else?!?!

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Quick Reply