Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Reusing Yeast - How many Times?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #21
Bob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Hermit - Not long. As long as the yeast is stored cold (between 35-40F) and under beer, it will last a few weeks. But just sitting in the fermenter? Not long at all. That's why brewers who practice the technique knock out the same day they racked off the cake.

St Anthony - The Prophet Charlie is not only wrong about big breweries doing that, he's not infallible. Everything will NOT be fine if you practice this technique; your beer will be mediocre. But you can RDWHAHB!

Boo Boo - I can and will tell you it's filthy. Any fool can look at it and plainly see the truth of it. Trub and other soils are dirt. I'm glad you at least decant the slurry; you're halfway to pitching appropriate amounts. Yeah, I do sort of make it out to be the end of all things. Mainly, that's because it's such a lazy thing - take ten minutes and clean the dratted fermenter. What is so hard about that?

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2009, 10:14 PM   #22
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

But if CHARLIE said it was fine!

[ducking from another newspaper swat!]

Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 11-16-2009, 10:17 PM   #23
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I've reused Wyeast #1099 (Whitbread.) I have a single jar of it left at generation #3 that can still possibly get me many more batches (maximum 16; I get roughly 4 jars out of a wash.)

Basically what I'm saying is I've heard 5 generations is the limit. I'd like to try going further to see if any weird mutations arise.

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 11-16-2009, 11:29 PM   #24
EvilGnome6
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy_446 View Post
Basically what I'm saying is I've heard 5 generations is the limit. I'd like to try going further to see if any weird mutations arise.
Somebody here linked this paper recently where an ale yeast was repitched 98 times and a lager yeast was repitched 135 times, both with no mutations. I don't think mutation is as much the concern to a homebrewer as contamination is.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:04 AM   #25
huntsman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How do I know if I over pitched?
I did a Hank's hefe weizen using Wyyeast 3068. After complete fermentation
on Oct. 25, I washed using the Washing Yeast Illustrated thread to obtain four separate pints of yeast. On the 14th of Nov. I took one of the pints and made a starter using 3/4 cup of DME and three cups of water to make a starter. The starter looked good so on the 15th, I started brewing and pitched the starter after brewing my second batch of Hank's. First thing this morning the fermenter is going crazy. I was extremely stoked until reading this thread about over pitching. I just looked at my batch and it is bubbling through a blowoff tube like CRAZY. Did I over pitch or am I worrying over nothing?

A Day Is Not Wasted As Long As You Learn Something New

Old 11-17-2009, 12:29 AM   #26
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGnome6 View Post
Somebody here linked this paper recently where an ale yeast was repitched 98 times and a lager yeast was repitched 135 times, both with no mutations. I don't think mutation is as much the concern to a homebrewer as contamination is.
Holy hell... well then, I redact my statement!

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 11-17-2009, 01:07 AM   #27
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Call it what you want but it is possible to select yeast (I don't like to call them mutants, just descendants.) You can easily select the flocculation by when and how you harvest the yeast. I agree, the biggest problem is contamination.

I don't wash. I just swirl the remaining beer in the fermenter and fill a quart jar. The most dense trub stays stuck to the bottom, the beer and the best yeast go in the jar.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:39 AM   #28
StAnthonyB
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroe View Post
Call it what you want but it is possible to select yeast (I don't like to call them mutants, just descendants.) You can easily select the flocculation by when and how you harvest the yeast. I agree, the biggest problem is contamination.

I don't wash. I just swirl the remaining beer in the fermenter and fill a quart jar. The most dense trub stays stuck to the bottom, the beer and the best yeast go in the jar.

The scientists are aided of course by microscopes in order to look for creepy crawlies in their yeast.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #29
babalu87
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You can re-use the yeast forever ot at least as long as your lifetime.

Bass did it for a long time.
Got to get the yeasties from the krausen, you can just keep re-using those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsman View Post
on Oct. 25, I washed using the Washing Yeast Illustrated thread to obtain four separate pints of yeast. On the 14th of Nov. I took one of the pints and made a starter using 3/4 cup of DME and three cups of water to make a starter. The starter looked good so on the 15th, I started brewing and pitched the starter after brewing my second batch of Hank's. First thing this morning the fermenter is going crazy. I was extremely stoked until reading this thread about over pitching. I just looked at my batch and it is bubbling through a blowoff tube like CRAZY. Did I over pitch or am I worrying over nothing?
Under pitch on Hefe/Dunkelweizens

Old 11-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #30
SupraSPL
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsman View Post
If you used 16 oz (1 pint) of slurry in your starter I'd say yes that is more than what is ideal for a hefe. Mr. Malty calc is usually closer to 4 oz.

That said, I have been wondering the same thing regarding slurry starter's and estery beer styles. Let's say you used 4 oz slurry in the starter with well aerated wort, surely the yeast in the starter are creating esters as they multiply which end up in the beer, right?

I've been experimenting reusing Wyeast 3638 with hefes and dunkel weizens. First I tried pitching 4oz of (2 week old) slurry directly into 5 gallons of wort. Fermentation took 48 hours to ramp up but the esters in the final product were awesome. Next I used 2 oz of slurry in a 1 cup starter with 30g (1/4 cup) table sugar and 1/4 tsp yeast nutes. I let the starter work for 48 hours then pitched it into 5 gallons of wort. The fermentation was roaring in 12 hours. Hopefully I will get the esters with the starter method. I will let you know in 3-4 weeks when I crack a test beer.

Last edited by SupraSPL; 11-17-2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: checking my notes

Quick Reply