The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Reusing Safale 05 yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2013, 02:49 AM   #1
southfieldbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Reusing Safale 05 yeast

Just ordered two kits From Northern Brewer. A porter and a IPA. Both kits call for Safale 05 dry yeast. Can I recycle the yeast from one style of beer to the other. And if so which way so I go IPA to porter or porter to IPA? Or can I even recycle a dry yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2013, 02:56 AM   #2
ny101
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I have done it with no ill effect that I could notice.

There are a few threads around here that go into way more detail than I can give you on how to wash yeast, so check those out. That will help if you want to change between styles.

In reality though I don't think you'll notice a couple ounces in a few gallons though.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:00 AM   #3
bzwyatt
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

Some of the flavor will get from one to the other. I'd reuse the IPA, cause porter has a little hop flavor, but IPA doesn't have any chocolate/roast flavor. But it is probably not enough flavor to notice anyway. And yes, any yeast that has fermented a beer can do it again, whether it is dry or smack pack or vial.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:19 AM   #4
Pastorken
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

You can definitely reuse your yeast. Usually you would want to go from lighter to darker beers to cover any left over flavors. I would do the IPA first too, but I might cut back some on the hops for the second beer or they could transfer and you end up with a dark IPA, which might not be too bad!

Old 10-16-2013, 03:38 AM   #5
jmendez29
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzwyatt View Post
Some of the flavor will get from one to the other. I'd reuse the IPA, cause porter has a little hop flavor, but IPA doesn't have any chocolate/roast flavor. But it is probably not enough flavor to notice anyway. And yes, any yeast that has fermented a beer can do it again, whether it is dry or smack pack or vial.
I disagree with this. This is an old myth that has been proven wrong many times. If properly washed, then the yeast will transmit essentially no flavor. And properly washing yeast is really easy. And unless you simply drop the IPA on top of the porter yeast cake, you probably won't get any porter flavor carrying over anyway.

I use almost exclusively US-05 for my beer. I wash my yeast and keep track of how many generations it has been from the original packet. I don't know what beer the yeast has come from and I make a large variety of beer. I have never gotten a hint of porter or stout in any of my blondes or cream ales.

I say go for it. The order really doesn't matter if you use it properly. Learn how to wash yeast and reuse it. Build a stir plate, it's worth it and it really isn't that hard. US-05 is relatively inexpensive, but when you start using say, a Belgian or a lager yeast, and you have to buy two $7 vials, all of a sudden these skills and equipment will pay off VERY quickly when you can reuse yeast or build up your yeast count with just one vial. Or even harvesting yeast from a bottle conditioned commercial beer. Good luck.

Does that make me an ***hole?

No, that's not what makes you an ***hole.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
bzwyatt
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

You disagree that it is probably not enough to notice?

Doesn't sound like it... in fact you said 'essentially', which is essentially a synonym for 'probably', in this context. In fact, we said essentially the same thing, but you used a lot more words to do it.

Forums are cool for some things, but some people always start out a response with a way to disagree with somebody. It is lame.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
ja09
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Not to sound like a dick, but I value my time way too much to wash a $3 or 4 packet of yeast. Why not just get 2 packets?

Old 10-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
ja09
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja09 View Post
Not to sound like a dick, but I value my time way too much to wash a $3 or 4 packet of yeast. Why not just get 2 packets?
Ok... might have sounded like a dick, but I personally feel there is too much work involved to save such little money. If you're looking for a challenge or to learn a new technique then go for it! If properly done, it'll work great. Just don't use the whole yeast cake because you'll be majorly overpitching.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
southfieldbrewer
Recipes 

Thanks for all the positive responses. That being said , I asked a question and wanted an answer. I did not ask for opinions on how to spend my money or time. If $3-$4 is no big deal then ja90 I will send you a self addressed stamped envelope and you can put three or four bucks in it and mail it back to me.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
ja09
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southfieldbrewer View Post
Thanks for all the positive responses. That being said , I asked a question and wanted an answer. I did not ask for opinions on how to spend my money or time. If $3-$4 is no big deal then ja90 I will send you a self addressed stamped envelope and you can put three or four bucks in it and mail it back to me.
Ok, now you're being the dick. Forums are funny

Quick Reply