Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Reusing a crusty carboy for different batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
barhoc11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Reusing a crusty carboy for different batch

I have a question that I hope someone can help me with...

About 2 weeks ago I brewed up a Hefeweizen using some of the Wyeast Weihenstephan 3068 and kegged it on Friday because I needed to use the carboy for a new 10 gallon batch of Biermunchers Cream of 3 crops that I was making on Saturday.

After kegging the hefe on Friday night to free up the carboy, I let it sit in oxyclean in order to try to get all of the yeast gunk that was caked on removed. When I woke up Saturday I found that the gunk was still there even after shaking it around vigorously so I figured that since I had left this in oxyclean all night, that should have killed the yeast that was there. I also used Starsan on it and figured that this should take care of anything left over, even though I could still see 'crustiness' where the krausen was from the hefe.

Since my cream of 3 crops was a 10 gallon batch, I racked half into this carboy and half into a 6 gallon bucket and pitched my safale 05 as normal.

What I have found is that the carboy with the hefe crust is fermenting much more vigorous and I had to put a blow off on it when the bucket batch I do not. I understand that using a bucket is not as air tight but upon opening up the bucket, the krausen is not nearly as bad as the carboy.

I think I know the answer to my own question but has anyone done this before? What were your results? I am guessing I am going to have a half hefe / half safale 05 fermentation, which may be good in the end but not something I was shooting for. In hindsight, I should have found a way to get the hefe crust out of the carboy better but in a rush during brew day I was not as concerned.

Any input on this is appreciated!

Keezer Slot #1 - Wheat Beer
Keezer Slot #2 - Raspberry Wheat
Keezer Slot #3 - Zombie Dust Clone
Keezer Slot #4 - Rye IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply