Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Reusing Cake Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Talloak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Reusing Cake Question

So, I made a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale 'Clone' which will turn out to not be a clone, but just good beer. It went into the primary at about 1.074. I was planning on racking a Denny Conn Bourbon Vanilla Porter onto it (US-05). But that SNPA clone will probably end up at 7% abv, and the Porter will be 8%. Will the yeast be too stressed from alcohol to finish out the Porter. I don't want it to get stuck.

'Allow 6-8 weeks for delivery'

Thinking about: California Common, Fat Squirrel Clone
Fermenting: Greenbelt Pale Ale
Conditioning:
Aging: Strong Scotch Ale, Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

7% maybe a little high for straight reusing the cake. You could always wash the yeast and make a big starter.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Why use stressed yeast if you don't have to. US-05 dry yeast is cheap -- go pick up another packet!

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 10-06-2009, 08:25 PM   #4
Talloak
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I certainly keep at least one spare each of US-05 and S-04 in my fridge. I'll just rehydrate and pitch a fresh pack of the beasties as usual. They have treated me well thus far and I trust them.

'Allow 6-8 weeks for delivery'

Thinking about: California Common, Fat Squirrel Clone
Fermenting: Greenbelt Pale Ale
Conditioning:
Aging: Strong Scotch Ale, Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison

Old 10-07-2009, 03:37 AM   #5
bkov
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

1.074 shouldent of streesed us05 out. i would reuse the cake, itll be fine, plus you can never really overpitch

Old 10-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkov View Post
1.074 shouldent of streesed us05 out. i would reuse the cake, itll be fine, plus you can never really overpitch
Most published experts (e.g., John Palmer, Jamil, etc.) suggest this is wrong on both accounts. Different authors put the top gravity for reusing at different places, but most put the max at 1.050 to 1.060. Also, there are certainly flavor consequences to having some yeast reproduction which doesn't happen if you overpitch. There is good reason why the major brewers (craft & BMC) don't constantly repitch yeast from full batches onto new full batches.

Luckily, the consequences for both of these will not always change the flavor dramatically, but I personally suspect you'll be able to taste it.
Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 10-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #7
bkov
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

i know jamil said in the brewcast on yeast, that even though people say you can overpitch, you never really can homebrewing

Old 10-07-2009, 09:33 PM   #8
Noleafclover
Recipes 

I'm sure that you CAN, but you'd probably have to intend on overpitching just to see if you could.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #9
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talloak View Post
So, I made a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale 'Clone' which will turn out to not be a clone, but just good beer. It went into the primary at about 1.074. I was planning on racking a Denny Conn Bourbon Vanilla Porter onto it (US-05). But that SNPA clone will probably end up at 7% abv, and the Porter will be 8%. Will the yeast be too stressed from alcohol to finish out the Porter. I don't want it to get stuck.
The yeast will be fine, but at 8% ABV Porter, so with higher OG I would use 100% of the cake, as opposed to a lower gravity Pale Ale, where I would use about 1/3 or 1/2 of the cake.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
KellyK
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Not getting into the use a yeast cake or not debate, the one thing I can say from personal experience, if you pitch a non-hoppy beer on to the yeast cake from a hoppy beer you WILL get hop transfer. We were misinformed regarding this and dropped a stout on top of a yeast cake from an IPA. Result was basically a black IPA. So, depending on how hoppy you want your Porter you may want to think about that.

Quick Reply