Results of yeast washing -- is there enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed_brews_now

Reaction score
Attached is a picture of one of three jars of yeast I cleaned. This is yeast is a the Safbrew wheat beer yeast. I swirled the trub with cooled boiled water in the primary fermenter, but a lot settled. The liquid was cloudy -- but I guess a lot of the yeast wheat into the bottling bucket with the beer because it was a wheat beer.

From what you can tell, can I make a starter with that amount of yeast (it is a thin white layer at the bottom of the jar.

Sorry, I can't post the picture -- but this is thin layer of white -- not completely covering the bottom of the jar. Is that enough to make a starter?

P1190755.jpg

Why can't you post the photos.
Click the attached button (you might need to go to advanced reply/edit) and upload the photo.
Its this button (attached by using the attached button ;))

attach.jpg

I added the photo. You can see the thin layer at the bottom. Is that enough for a starter? I have 3 jars of them though.

I'm in the same boat trying to figure out if I have enough yeast but with a starter stepping up from slant.

However, Jamil's Mr Malty has a calculator for figuring out repitch from slurry. Since you have washed it my guess is density is max and non yeast percentage is zero. If you put that into Mr Malty you get 42mls of slurry need for 5 gallons of 1050 brew?

I think you have more than enough, three jars of that has to be more than 42mls or approx 1.5floz. Even at average yeast density you only need 75mls or approx 3floz. As you can eyeball the container depth of yeast, area they cover etc etc you could figure out how much you have?

To be sure you could decant and pitch it into a starter? But that would defeat the purpose of repitching.

Clem

Back