HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Request for lager help #79219

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 01:58 AM   #1
NoNothing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Request for lager help #79219

So I know Im not the first to this game, and I KNOW my situation isnt unique. But after searching and googling I cant seem to find an answer.

I started my first lager about 2.5 weeks ago, an Oktoberfest. I have it sitting in my basement, in a 40 gallon storage bin full of water to keep the temp low.

At first I kept it at aroune 50-55 with swaping out ice water bottles, and allw as great. After a week I had to go on vacation for 4 days, the bottles didnt get swapped, and when I got back..I didnt do anything about it.

So Ive had an Oktoberfest in primary fermentation for almost 3 weeks, and the majority of that time its been at about 65*F.

I will take a refractometer reading tomorrow, but my question is. What do I do from here? Im thinking I should lager now, as its been nearly 3 weeks and with a warm fermentation I wont need the whole month. Do I need a Di-rest since I've already been fermenting high? Any other advice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2010, 02:25 AM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

After you take a temp and hydrometer reading drink the sample.

If it's still around 65F then that's not too bad. Rack it if it's done (reached the projected FG), and place it back in the swamp cooler and try to maintain colder temps.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:28 AM   #3
NoNothing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For lagering I'm going to be racking to a keg as my fermentation vessel and using a buddies fridge fermentation cooler. So ill be able to have proper temps then, im just worried about my high temps durring primary fermentation.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:20 AM   #4
944play
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNothing View Post
Do I need a Di-rest since I've already been fermenting high?
A d-rest is nothing more than raising the temp of a ferment toward the end. I think you have that part covered handily.

The first week is the most important. If you pitched enough healthy yeast, you should have a super tasty festbier after a month or so in the fridge.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
NoNothing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944play View Post
A d-rest is nothing more than raising the temp of a ferment toward the end. I think you have that part covered handily.

The first week is the most important. If you pitched enough healthy yeast, you should have a super tasty festbier after a month or so in the fridge.
Awesome. I figured I had the DiRest covered given my already high temps. I definitely pitched enough yeast, according to Mr Malt, so I hope all is well!

Old 07-04-2010, 03:38 PM   #6
petep1980

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As long as you pitched a good starter I'm sure the VAST majority of your fermentation was done the first couple days. You'll be fine without a doubt.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
NoNothing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for all your help guys, if I had just waited to take a refractometer reading...Im 1 point under my estimated final gravity. The beer tastes AMAZING. Once my new keg gets here on tuesday Ill be lagering in my friends fridge cooler and have a great beer come OktoberFest!

Quick Reply