New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Replacing lager yeast with ale yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #1
ruinsx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Replacing lager yeast with ale yeast?

I have a question about substituting lager yeast with ale yeast in a helles bock. I'm wanting to brew the AHS Helles Bock (http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=270) which originally calls for White Labs German Lager Yeast (WLP830). I don't have a dedicated beer fridge so I want to brew this beer with an ale yeast (Possibly White Labs German Ale/Kolsch Ale WLP029).

So heres my question... What significant style/taste/appearance changes will I notice with this switch? Would I need to do anything different (double pitching yeast, etc.) or could I just brew the same and go with the ale yeast.

Specific to this brew, I am currently brewing mini-mash w/ liquid extract.

Cheers.

“Drink today, and drown all sorrow; You shall perhaps not do it tomorrow; Best, while you have it, use your breath; There is no drinking after death”
- Ben Jonson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
NochEineMassBitte
G'suffa!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 31

WLP029 is a great ale yeast that can give pseudo-lager results. If you can maintain the fermentation temp at 60 degrees or so, it'll be pretty clean. At higher temps, you might notice a little fruitiness in the finished product, but nothing near what other strains would produce.

The recipe says the OG is 1.071, so I would definitely make a starter or double pitch. Pitching a large number of healthy, eager yeast will minimize fruitiness and give you a cleaner result.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
zgoda
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I tried to ferment my maibock with Wyeast German Ale @57F and the result was disappointing - the alcohol notes was dominant in the nose and beer was very harsh on palate. Then i did the same beer but fermented it with Wyeast California Lager (same temperature), beer was much more like original helles bock, yet still missing the malty character.

Nobody expects Spanish infection!

Old 01-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
DrawTap88
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

If you're not able to get down to the 60 degrees fermentation temp that is recommended on the Kolsch yeast, I suggest using Wyeast 1056 since it produces a pretty clean tasting beer.

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Old 01-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
ruinsx
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrawTap88
If you're not able to get down to the 60 degrees fermentation temp that is recommended on the Kolsch yeast, I suggest using Wyeast 1056 since it produces a pretty clean tasting beer.
So you feel like that Wyeast would perform better at winter room temp (68-72deg) than the kolsch yeast?

“Drink today, and drown all sorrow; You shall perhaps not do it tomorrow; Best, while you have it, use your breath; There is no drinking after death”
- Ben Jonson

Old 01-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
DrawTap88
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Yes. If you can't get the Wyeast, I believe White Labs WLP001 is the same thing. (Sorry. Don't have much experience with White Labs since my LHBS doesn't sell it.)

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Quick Reply