The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Repitching High Gravity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
highgravitybacon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Default Repitching High Gravity

I have a 1.074 and 1.084 beer. I'm using Wyeast 1388 on the 1.074 and WLP550 on the 1.084. Both are around 30 IBU. About 12-20% simple sugars.

Any issues with repitching this yeast? I'm not talking about the whole pile, but an appropriate amount of slurry.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Last weekend I bottled an Oatmeal stout at 7.2% ABV, 28 calculated IBUs. The viability of the yeast was 87% and the cell count was 400 billion viable cells per liter.

I imagine your yeast will be close to that.

If you want a count I would be happy to do it for you. Check here for details:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/p/n...us-x-none.html

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Old 12-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I can't back this up with any sciency stuff but conventional wisdom says to dump yeast from bigger beers. They get stressed out from big, intense fermentations. I'll use yeast from beers up to 1.060 but stop after that.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 12-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhousebrew View Post
I can't back this up with any sciency stuff but conventional wisdom says to dump yeast from bigger beers. They get stressed out from big, intense fermentations. I'll use yeast from beers up to 1.060 but stop after that.
Yes, I have read that. But I have also heard of people repitching at high gravity too. Again, anecdotal.

Where I get confused is why it doesnt work. The "yeast get stressed" answer isn't quite specific enough and that's all I've found.

Edit: Im not criticizing your reply, just thinking loud, typing, about the actual changes.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravitybacon View Post
Yes, I have read that. But I have also heard of people repitching at high gravity too. Again, anecdotal.

Where I get confused is why it doesnt work. The "yeast get stressed" answer isn't quite specific enough and that's all I've found.

Edit: Im not criticizing your reply, just thinking loud, typing, about the actual changes.
I agree completely with your assessment. It is a vague statement. And standard brewing procedures and knowledge seem to change from time to time so it's possible this is just one of those things that keeps getting said. That said, I stick to it. Yeast is the most important thing I put in my beer so why risk it.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 12-27-2012, 02:20 AM   #6
kaconga
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 22

It is my understanding that the higher alcohol environment promotes mutations which are generally not what we want with brewing. A common mutation is less flocculation. If you want to pitch from a higher gravity beer then I recommend washing and using a starter so you can be sure the yeast can floc well.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:48 AM   #7
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Use it. I generally follow the philosophy of not re-using yeast from anything above 1.070 (I don't have too many that are below 1.060). But I have on occasion used yeast from beers above that with no noticeable issues. If I use a yeast from a high gravity beer, I will only use it once; it doesn't get re-used again.

This practice meets my brewing needs, so I have no reason to continually re-use yeast from higher gravity beers.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:52 AM   #8
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaconga View Post
It is my understanding that the higher alcohol environment promotes mutations which are generally not what we want with brewing. A common mutation is less flocculation. If you want to pitch from a higher gravity beer then I recommend washing and using a starter so you can be sure the yeast can floc well.
Well, 1388 is a horrible flocculator already. I like 1007 and thought it was a slow flocculator. Not even in the same ballpark. Hard to believe Duvel obtains such stunning clarity with this yeast.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:53 AM   #9
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
Use it. I generally follow the philosophy of not re-using yeast from anything above 1.070 (I don't have too many that are below 1.060). But I have on occasion used yeast from beers above that with no noticeable issues. If I use a yeast from a high gravity beer, I will only use it once; it doesn't get re-used again.

This practice meets my brewing needs, so I have no reason to continually re-use yeast from higher gravity beers.
Do you reuse the high gravity yeast for another high gravity beer, or a lower/low SG beer?

Old 12-27-2012, 04:02 AM   #10
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravitybacon View Post
Do you reuse the high gravity yeast for another high gravity beer, or a lower/low SG beer?
Again. I've only used yeast over 1.080 in a single beer. never re-used it again.

No I don't pay attention to what I pitch it into. I never follow rules as to keep stepping it up. I am pretty sure that on the occasions where I have used yeast from high gravity beers, it was into a lower gravity beer, but very few of my beers are lower than 1.060.

But ...... if I remember correctly, I recently did a Berliner Weisse (1.036) that had yeast from a 'higher' gravity beer with no issues. I wanted to pitch big because of the acidic environment in that beer, and the yeast from the cake of a high gravity beer (somewhere between 1.070 and 1.080) was available.

Quick Reply