Repitching 1.056 OG Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MizooBrew

Reaction score
Hey HBT, I am currently brewing my first lager and needed to ask a few questions (that hopefully don't draw too many groans). I have utilized the search feature and am just looking for confirmation that my next step will be alright.
So here is my situation, I have a small chest freezer w/ a Johnson temperature controller on it which has worked beautifully. My recipe was a partial mash Oktoberfest with an OG of 1.056, into which I (under)pitched Wyeast Oktoberfest Lager Blend. I did make a starter, but only a 1L w/ a stir plate. (I have since got a 2L and will be using that for all future lagers). Furthermore I put my yeast through more temperature fluctuations than I should have by getting constantly concerned that my temperature settings were wrong and, in the process of changing temps a bunch, hurting the yeast. They pooped out at about 1.020 (the dreaded 1.020).
Since then I have tried to employ a diacetyl rest with no successful reduction of diacetyl and have not seen a drop of even 0.002 in three weeks, so I think to say its safe I have killed my yeasties. (I racked at three weeks from the start of fermentation before beginning lagering, so the beer is no longer sitting on a huge yeast cake.)
My proposed remedy is to bring the beer back up to 55 F and pitch (sprinkle into wort per directions on packaging) Saflager S23. This will hopefully fix both of my two problems: the diacetyl and my stuck fermentation. I was shooting for an FG of 1.012 or 1.014 btw. I have read fresh yeast can clean up diacetyl quite nicely, and I assume one packet would be sufficient to bring me down to my anticipated FG. Does this sound right? I do not need to rehydrate or reoxygenate when repitching do I? Once I hit my FG I will employ a diacetyl rest at 60ish for 3 days and lager for 3-4 weeks. Any advice is appreciated. Unfortunately I have already long missed the window for an Oktoberfest celebration haha.

Sorry about the long post :eek:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/will-work-205761/

I had bottled a bit of the keg in question and drank the last one this past Saturday night. No diacetyl.

A few things I don't like about your plan: (1) just adding yeast. I think you want to give the yeast something to eat besides the few fermentables that are left in your beer. You need to get them active, so you want to add wort or at least DME. The best brewer I know told me he fixed diacetyl once just by adding DME. (2) not rehydrating. Even though you don't have to for pitching at the temp you are planning, I like to see the little yeasty bastards working before I add them to my wort. As far as your choice of yeast goes...this is one of the few applications where I would think S-23 will be a good choice. It likes warm (for a lager yeast) fermentation temperatures, and there is no reason to go cool here.

I'm not sure you will see much of a gravity reduction, but I think you can get rid of your diacetyl. It won't be an award-winning brew but you can make it drinkable IMO.

Good luck!

A few things I don't like about your plan: (1) just adding yeast. I think you want to give the yeast something to eat besides the few fermentables that are left in your beer. You need to get them active, so you want to add wort or at least DME. The best brewer I know told me he fixed diacetyl once just by adding DME.

Thanks for the quick reply. When you say I need to add DME do you mean I should make a starter of some sort and then pitch the (a) entire thing or (b) the slurry? I saw in your post you linked me to you made a complete batch instead of just a starter wit DME, but would a DME starter do the trick? Since I will be pitching it at high krausen I assume I should go somewhat small on the starter since I won't be able to decant the spent wort and so it will have minimal flavor impact? Thanks again osagedr!

You want to pitch the entire "mini-batch", not just the slurry. I think a DME "mini batch" will do the trick; I've not thought about how big the flavour impact will be without hops, etc. I guess if it works you could consider dry hopping with some Hallertau or Tettnang if you think it needs some flavour help.

So check out the BYO article from my link above; it gives pretty detailed instructions about what to do.

Alright perfect, I read through that article and it does give very detailed instructions for what to do. My only concern is making a starter with dry yeast, as I've read this is a no-no. But considering what is happening (essentially a mini batch being pitched into a larger batch later) it doesn't seem to make much sense that this would really be an issue. I'll report back with results!

*Update*
Pitched some S23 a few days ago, there are now bubbles on the surface indicating. I pitched about half of the sachet into the wort without rehydrating (as per the instructions) and pitched the other half into a 500mL starter and pitched once activity was peaking. Fermenting at 58F, will update once I get a taste and gravity reading.
Question: should I lager for a few more weeks after this is finished? I assume so, although I have already had about three weeks of lagering before pitching. Any advice is appreciated!

Back