Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Rehydrating / proofing nottingham yeast packet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
Jack787
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Rehydrating / proofing nottingham yeast packet

Hi there,

Apologies if this has been addressed somewhere already.

Brewing first batch as we speak (porter from BB kit). Came with sachet of nottingham yeast which the BB instructions said to dry pitch. The yeast packet said to rehydrate in warm water, but i went kn the advice of Palmers HTB and made a starter with boiled and cooled sugar solution.

I have now read that making a starter with dried yeast can actually have a negative effect on the yeast.( danstars website for nottingham)

In anyones experience, would this likely affect the fermentation of my wort and are there steps i should be taking?

My initial fermentation as vigorous but only lasted two days at most. I know there is a lot of other factors and info to post to get a proper answer, but was curious about the effect of the apparent messing up of the yeast prep.

Thanks in advance

J

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 306

This thread will get you a lot of answers for sure,,

Nottingham (as per Danstar) rehydration involves proper temperature water (not distilled or RO). It also states not to use wort or in your case a sugar solution.

FWIW I use it all the time and contrary to a lot of brewers I pitch it dry on most of my ales, up to about 1.06 OG.

bosco

Old 12-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 280 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Best practice is to boil some water for a few minutes to sanitize (tap water- not distilled or RO as bosco mentioned) with NO SUGAR and let it cool to ~105F, and toss your yeast in. Once it looks creamy, you can pitch, but don't wait more than 20 minutes or so. The yeast will probably not foam, but it might, too, either way it's fine.

The reason you don't use sugar is that when you toss your yeast in, for a few seconds/minutes it cannot regulate what crosses its cell walls. By dumping it into sugar you're really stressing out the yeast by filling it with way more sugar than the inside of the yeast would ever have.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 12-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
Chamuco
Beer Bender
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Vigorous = a good start. Like others have said, rehydration is the best practice but many of us sprinkle with good results. A starter is not necessary (with dry yeast) and may do more harm than good. Congrats on your first beer, it'll be fine.

Beer, beer, good for the heart.

boscobeans Likes This 
Old 12-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
Jack787
Recipes 

Thanks all for your input. Here's hoping its fine. No airlock action since the initial pitching( 6 days ago). Will wait a few more days then check if good FG.

Quick Reply