Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Rehydrated my yeast, still took > 18 hours to start

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
Echoloc8
Acolyte of Fermentalism
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Rehydrated my yeast, still took > 18 hours to start

I decided to try rehydrating my two packets of US-05 for this past weekend's 1.090-OG Russian Imperial Stout brew.

Here's the process I followed:

• I pulled a cup of 102ish degree-F water and poured the packets into it after chilling, while I was whirlpooling and siphoning into the fermenter.
  • I conditioned the slurry with wort twice to bring the temperature down and acclimate the yeast to the wort's gravity.
  • I timed it, and pitched the slurry right at the half-hour mark. Simple, right?

The yeast was definitely proofed and going in the measuring cup.

I did not bother to aerate the wort particularly; not needed with rehydrated yeast, right?

I was half expecting to see activity around the four-to-eight-hour mark, but like usual, I didn't see any airlock activity until well into the next day. It's going like a piston now, but I was wondering why it took so long to get going? Was it the high SG? The fact my ground water is already warm enough that I couldn't get my wort any lower than 73 degrees when my house's ambient temp is 65?

-Rich
Kegged: Red Rye Ale | empty
On Deck: TBD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
TheLastDamnBatch
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

1.) You still need to aerate the wort.
2.) You didn't pitch an active starter you simply rehydrated your yeast and pitched them. Pitching an active starter at high krausen you would have seen activity much sooner.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Although the yeast manufacturer says aeration is not necessary because the yeast are dried with all the sterols and nutrient they need I still aerate. Very little oxygen is required for sterol production:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/201...e-to-make.html

Most of that oxygen goes to aerobic respiration which produces about 20 times more energy than anaerobic respiration.

here are some tests done on hydrating yeast:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/201...rew-yeast.html

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
bja
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoloc8 View Post
I was half expecting to see activity around the four-to-eight-hour mark, but like usual, I didn't see any airlock activity until well into the next day. It's going like a piston now, but I was wondering why it took so long to get going? Was it the high SG?
Probably, you did everything you needed to. Less than 24 hours is perfectly acceptable.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Quick Reply