Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Rehydrate Safale US05 YEs or NO?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2013, 12:52 AM   #11
masskrug
Shooting for 80%
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromebrew View Post
I know this is against the grain here, but I pitch dry yeast directly into the wort and I've never had a single problem. US-05 usually takes off for me within 24 hours from dry. I know its easy to do and I know there is some benefit to it, but from my experience, I end up with great fermentations and I don't feel the need to change it up.
I've done both and have not seen any difference. Save yourself some time and pitch it dry on some well aerated wort.
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 01:44 AM   #12
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by masskrug View Post
I've done both and have not seen any difference. Save yourself some time and pitch it dry on some well aerated wort.
^^^ This. Experimented with dry vs rehydrating on a commercial scale and came to the conclusion that there was no appreciable difference. Since it is a) an extra step and, therefore, b) another potential source of contamination, I simply don't bother with rehydrating.

It is true that a large number of cells won't survive the pitch, BUT the ones that do survive feast on the weak... so to speak. I pitch 1 pack into 5 gallons and typically see signs of fermentation in around 8 hours. No problems.

Also, dry yeast includes sufficient lipids for growth so that aeration is not actually necessary... I aerate anyway, but don't get extreme.. just let the wort splash and churn as I pour it into my ferm...

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Hammy71 Likes This 
Old 05-05-2013, 01:49 AM   #13
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 446

I never rehydrate anymore.

Quick Reply