Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Refrigerate my starter or let it sit on the counter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2011, 01:29 AM   #11
cscade
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseL View Post
Is growth complete when activity is no longer visible?
I can't speak to what a starter not spun on a plate looks like, but I can tell you that if you are using a plate the yeast will visually indicate when it's completed it's growth phase.

From experience every strain I have ever used will floc into clumps (if it is a flocculent strain) or at the very least stratify in the flask even while the plate is still running. If the color of the contents of the flask is completely uniform and opaque with no visible clumping or stratification, it isn't done. I've never had it take more than 36 hours at 70f to show these signs of completion. YMMV of course, but from what I've seen even very low flocculating (I refer to them as "dusty") yeasts will stratify and begin to visually swirl in the flask when growth is complete.

Seeker Brewing Co.
est. 2008
Build Thread - Blog

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply