Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Refractometer post fermentation correction formula

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
william_shakes_beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Refractometer post fermentation correction formula

Does anyone know where to find it? I understand there are online resources, but I'd like to take a shot at adding this feature to my brew day spreadsheet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 225 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 206

I use my phone, I dono if this helps?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=com.BrewBuddy

Old 02-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #3
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

The best calculator for translating post ferment Brix readings to gravity readings that I have found is produced by Sean Terrill.
See http://seanterrill.com/2011/04/07/re...er-fg-results/ for details. He even provides spreadsheet templates for your convenience.
Personally, if there's any doubt, I take Brix readings to determine when fermentation is finished, and then take a single gravity reading with an hydrometer to determine what the final gravity is, and to judge the taste of the sample.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #4
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
The best calculator for translating post ferment Brix readings to gravity readings that I have found is produced by Sean Terrill.
See http://seanterrill.com/2011/04/07/re...er-fg-results/ for details. He even provides spreadsheet templates for your convenience.
Personally, if there's any doubt, I take Brix readings to determine when fermentation is finished, and then take a single gravity reading with an hydrometer to determine what the final gravity is, and to judge the taste of the sample.

-a.
This. The Sean Terrill calculator is the best I've found and he shows all of his math/calculations.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #5
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 605

I recommend doing your own comparisons. When you collect enough data you will have a correction factor that you can plug into your software.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Got the spreadsheet, will do my own comparisons. One of the reasons I do 4 weeks primary is to ensure the beer fully attenuates. Don't want to take the loss of a cylinder of wort daily. Hoping that with the smaller sample needed for a refractometer, I can take more frequent samples.

A point of edification; Why is Brix used in the calculators as opposed to SG? I have a dual scale refractometer, so I can use either. Just wondering.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Most refractometers only have a Brix scale. If they have an SG scale as well, that is usually calibrated for simple sugar or fruit juice solutions, and is not going to be completely accurate for wort.

When I'm waiting for a brew to reach FG, I take a refractometer reading about once every 4 days, but don't bother to convert to SG. When I get two identical readings, 4 days apart, then I take an hydrometer sample to see what the FG really is. I tried using the refractometer and a calculator many years ago, but the results were not accurate.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

MikeInMKE Likes This 
Old 02-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
H22W
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post

-a.
Yes this is the one which has proven accurate for me. I actually tested it with hydrometer.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

It looks like Sean's is based on a large set of experiment data. Others I have seen seem to be based on the Balling observation or analytics.

Each tool has its place. Refrctometers are good at measuring refraction index. Hydrometers are good at measuring relative density. Neither are great at measuring final sugar or alcohol content because assumptions need to be made defining what "normal" fermentation is in order to use them. However, armed with both tools you can achieve more accurate measurements of alcohol and residual sugar.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #10
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer View Post
Got the spreadsheet, will do my own comparisons. One of the reasons I do 4 weeks primary is to ensure the beer fully attenuates. Don't want to take the loss of a cylinder of wort daily. Hoping that with the smaller sample needed for a refractometer, I can take more frequent samples.

A point of edification; Why is Brix used in the calculators as opposed to SG? I have a dual scale refractometer, so I can use either. Just wondering.
Brix/degrees Plato were originally used for wine making, they continue to use that scale rather than SG/density (vs refraction index). Wine is a simpler, more sugar/water only mixture than wort if I understand it correctly.

Quick Reply