Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Red Star Champagne Yeast Barleywine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #21
Scoggin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When/if the gravity stalls out. Make a starter of some really high alcohol tolerant ale yeast. Wait till the krausen high, and the starter is most active, then pitch the whole thing. That way the yeast will be somewhat used to an alcoholic environment, and pitching at high krausen should get them started quickly. Worth a shot

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #22
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by grssmnperez View Post
So pretty much all i can do is put in a yeast that is for high abv like super HG yeast or distiller and some beano tablets to convert the inedible sugars?
pitching a hig-gracity ale yeast isn't your only option, but it's the most certain one IMO. be sure to make a starter of whatever yeast you go with. along with the 099, Wyeast 1388 or 3787 are other options. the 099 is probably your best bet, tho. be sure to make a big starter, pitch at high krausen, and don't forget to aerate really well.

you could indeed pitch some rehydrated S-04 and see how that goes. i'd pitch a lot, like 2 packets. this is the cheap option, if it works. if not, you're out a few bucks for the dry yeast and need to start over with the liquid yeast.

personally i'd stay away from distiller yeast.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small second runnings beer
Aging: oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 06-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #23
grssmnperez
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell
pitching a hig-gracity ale yeast isn't your only option, but it's the most certain one IMO. be sure to make a starter of whatever yeast you go with. along with the 099, Wyeast 1388 or 3787 are other options. the 099 is probably your best bet, tho. be sure to make a big starter, pitch at high krausen, and don't forget to aerate really well.

you could indeed pitch some rehydrated S-04 and see how that goes. i'd pitch a lot, like 2 packets. this is the cheap option, if it works. if not, you're out a few bucks for the dry yeast and need to start over with the liquid yeast.

personally i'd stay away from distiller yeast.
Its not really about the cost. Its the viability of the yeast on a 45 minute ride home from the lhbs in an unairconditioned car in 100f temps

Old 06-14-2012, 01:51 AM   #24
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

as suggested previously, a cooler (or even a tupperware inside a few cloth bags, or wrapped in a towel) and some ice/ice packs should keep the yeast plenty cool enough over an hour.

Fermenting: wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small second runnings beer

Old 06-14-2012, 03:47 AM   #25
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
right, but that S-04 started in a 0% alcohol environment and slowly adapted to the rising alcohol levels it was creating. in this case the champagne yeast will already have created some amount of alcohol (4%? 6%?), that is a shocking environment to pitch some poor unsuspecting yeast into. taking yeast that has just woken up and throwing it into an alcoholic solution does not constitute "treating your normal ale yest correctly".
I hadn't realized he already fermented this half-way.

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:11 AM   #26
bluewaterbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

yeah definitely ice packs. Some lhbs will even give you a few if they have them. I had a guy give me some for a trip from memphis to alabama. As for the yeast strain, any highly attenuative yeast has always done me good. I have to agree with sweet cell about the ale strain choice. Farmhouse strains seem to be great for barleywine.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #27
grssmnperez
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewaterbrewer
yeah definitely ice packs. Some lhbs will even give you a few if they have them. I had a guy give me some for a trip from memphis to alabama. As for the yeast strain, any highly attenuative yeast has always done me good. I have to agree with sweet cell about the ale strain choice. Farmhouse strains seem to be great for barleywine.
Farmhouse strains? Example.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #28
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

farmhouse = saison.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #29
grssmnperez
Recipes 

image-844442721.jpg

What is going on here? Did the yeast quit on me or something?

Old 06-16-2012, 05:14 AM   #30
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

what is making you thin that the yeast quit? that picture doesn't tell me anything.

have you re-pitched an ale yeast? if you're still only on champagne yeast, you should expect it to quit... per the advice everyone has given you in this thread.

Quick Reply