The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Reboil, cool and pitch yeast for a 2nd time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
GregR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarcia128 View Post
@ Reevy: I liked the video. My question is, since I didn't take original gravity can i still take specific gravity?
you can still take readings for your final gravity. in fact, you should. it is the only way to know when your beer is done. but since you don't have a starting gravity you'll have no way of knowing how much alcohol is in the beer. and really, so long as it tastes good, that doesn't matter.

That's what Jamil said.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 780

Quote:
@ Reevy: I liked the video. My question is, since I didn't take original gravity can i still take specific gravity?
Yes! You can check the SG about 3 days before you want to bottle. Check it again, three days later. If it's the same (and at a reasonable gravity), you can bottle it.

That's pretty much how you know when to bottle- when the SG hasn't changed for three days or more and it's in line with what you expect. We can help you with deciding a reasonable gravity, so don't sweat that. Once the beer is done fermenting, and the hydrometer confims that is is, then it's safe to bottle the beer.

Quite a few of us wait a couple of weeks or more after the beer is done fermenting before bottling. That means a clearer beer to bottle, with less "gunk" in the bottle in the end. I have very little sediment in my bottles, since I wait for about 3-4 weeks or so before bottling.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

They already answered the bigger part of your guestion. I'll just elaborate on one part of it. Figuring out what your OG was.

If you are doing Extract brewing, and to a lesser extent even all grain, you can get a rough guestimate of the original gravity, You can use brewing software and imput your recipe and it will give you an idea of what the og should be, and it will be close enough for goverment work. Extract brewing is almost foolproff, since you are not converting starch to sugar, it is already converted for you, and if you followed your recipe, and topped off to the correct volume, then what the software or what the recipe tells you the og should be, it will be pretty close to it if not dead on.

It's a little harder with all grain and partial mashes, because we the brewer are doing the work of converting the grain. And there are many variables that can come into play, so we can ball park it, and if we have our process dialed in really well, then we can also easily figure out what the OG was. It just take an understanding of the process, and some experience...which you are already starting to gain from this thread.

Like I said, you'll laugh at this thread in a year.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #14
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 16

You've got two of the sharper tools in the HBT woodshed advising you here, so listen to what they say and you'll be fine.

I'll just add that with my system, I get lots of little grain particles in the wort when it goes into the fermenter. An extra week or two in the primary after fermentation stops and they all settle right out with everything else. No sweat necessary.

And go get that hydrometer!

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 05-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #15
rgarcia128
Recipes 

Thank you all!!! I am so glad I signed up and asked. I have already read a few blogs from Reevy; they are great! You should probably write a book or become a beer historian!

I will get a hydrometer ChshreCat hopefully later today if not tomorrow. No matter how great talking beer and reading beer articles I must continue with my school studies. I two finals on Tuesday: Accounting and Business Law, not going to be to fun. But I will be glad when its over and earn my A's I worked my buttoff for this semester.

Thanks again. I will be back and post some more and hope to here from you guys again!

Old 05-15-2010, 11:13 PM   #16
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Thank you all!!! I am so glad I signed up and asked. I have already read a few blogs from Reevy; they are great! You should probably write a book or become a beer historian!

I will get a hydrometer ChshreCat hopefully later today if not tomorrow. No matter how great talking beer and reading beer articles I must continue with my school studies. I two finals on Tuesday: Accounting and Business Law, not going to be to fun. But I will be glad when its over and earn my A's I worked my buttoff for this semester.

Thanks again. I will be back and post some more and hope to here from you guys again!

Actually I AM writing a book, and it's a beer history book. I'm researching the breweries of Michigan's Thumb. There were a ton of them in the 1800's.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-15-2010, 11:19 PM   #17
JOHN51277

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

Robert, Look for the book sometime next week on your doorstep!

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Tags
aerated, fermenting, repitch, start again, stop

Quick Reply