Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Really stupid fermentation question--slightly OT

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2010, 04:58 AM   #1
duskb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Really stupid fermentation question--slightly OT

Early this year I took some limes from a lime tree in the back and squeezed the juice into a used (but washed) PVC apple juice carton. My initial thought was to get the juice into something I could refrigerate so I could use it for marinating stuff over the next few months after the lime tree went dormant.

Well it wasn't much later I looked in the back of the fridge and the liquid started to change texture and had puffed out the PVC container. I slowly opened the lid and let out alot of gas. Since then it's continued to "ferment".

The question is I don't plan on consuming this but clearly there's some sort of fermentation going on here (how I'm not sure since the container was clean and closed). How bad is it to use this juice for marinating meat at this point? Any idea from those who've trod before me on what's going on here and the risks with using this stuff?

----
Dusk Bennett
Audio Engineer
Los Angeles CA
www.duskbennett.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2010, 05:09 AM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Pure citrus juice usually has an awful flavor when it ferments. Often described as similar to vomit. If you want to marinade with it, I'd suggest tasting a little bit of it first (if you're brave enough) and see if you'd really want to eat something soaked in it. Smell it at least before you taste it.

The container may have been clean, but was it sanitized? And how about the limes themselves? Fruit off a tree is going to have wild yeast all over it's skins. Did you do anything to avoid getting that in the juice? If not, you have a wild yeast ferment going on (and maybe some bacteria as well) so who knows what it'll taste like. I don't think I'd like it on my steak.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 04-07-2010, 05:17 AM   #3
duskb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Pure citrus juice usually has an awful flavor when it ferments. Often described as similar to vomit. If you want to marinade with it, I'd suggest tasting a little bit of it first (if you're brave enough) and see if you'd really want to eat something soaked in it. Smell it at least before you taste it.

The container may have been clean, but was it sanitized? And how about the limes themselves? Fruit off a tree is going to have wild yeast all over it's skins. Did you do anything to avoid getting that in the juice? If not, you have a wild yeast ferment going on (and maybe some bacteria as well) so who knows what it'll taste like. I don't think I'd like it on my steak.
I may have forgotten to sanitize the bottle, I can't be sure. I can say with certainty the lime skins were washed with water but not all were in great shape. Some of them had already started to bruise from being on the ground for a day or so. I didn't think about the wild yeast but I bet you're right about that...

Probably worth a smell...and then a dump. I'll check.

----
Dusk Bennett
Audio Engineer
Los Angeles CA
www.duskbennett.com

Old 04-09-2010, 12:02 AM   #4
Potter1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by duskb View Post

Probably worth a smell...and then a dump. I'll check.
Dude, you just made the quotes page
Primary 4 Air

Secondary 1 air
2 air
3 air
4 air
Kegged
Fall Amber, Sparkling Cider, Cream Soda, Gum Bleeder II, Dunkel
Damn big drinkin' weekend

Old 04-09-2010, 01:09 AM   #5
pkeeler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There could be any number of microorganisms working in there. Yeast is only one possibility. I'd throw it out.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:08 AM   #6
duskb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter1 View Post
Dude, you just made the quotes page
Very funny. Reading it back 48 hours later I almost can't believe I wrote that.

LOL

----
Dusk Bennett
Audio Engineer
Los Angeles CA
www.duskbennett.com

Quick Reply