Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Really strange fermentation....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2010, 01:34 AM   #1
Bacchus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Really strange fermentation....

Although I've done quite a few batches of beer, this last batch was the first time I ever used a yeast starter. It's a Belgian Strong Ale and had an SG of 1082. The first 24 hours this thing went like mad. The airlock was literally boiling and the krausen blew the airlock apart. Over the next few days it slowly died down to 2 or 3 bubbles per minute and then to one bubble every couple of minutes. But three times now, when it seems as though it's about at the end of its fermentation, it picks up again to a bubble every couple of seconds! I know that the airlock isn't all that reliable but it is quite odd that it is having bursts of creating more CO2. Of course I'll just let it go for however long it takes. I just found this really weird because I have never seen it before. Using a yeast starter really seems to change the fermentation process. For the better, of course!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 03:42 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Are you using anything to keep the temps consistant? I'm assuming your temps are changing and it's causing your yeast to slow down and speed up. You're right though...airlocks suck. I really wish that books wouldn't tell new homebrewers to watch the airlock...it's really something that should be explained.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 02-24-2010, 03:49 AM   #3
Stanfield
Recipes 

if the temperature change is great enough than excess CO2 will be released, was the bubbling occurring when the temperature was getting warmer? If so I'd bet the temperature change was the culprit. Personally I'd check the hydrometer and see what it says.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:18 AM   #4
Bacchus
Recipes 

I ferment in a temperature controlled cabinet and it remains at a constant 70F. It's coming along fine, though. SG has dropped over six days from 1082 to 1020. I just thought it curious how the airlock was slowing down and speeding up. Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply