Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Ready to rack to 2ndary, Still Foamy...?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009, 01:09 AM   #1
jmsynats
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ready to rack to 2ndary, Still Foamy...?

I popped my primary open to transfer to my 2ndary, and there is still a big beautiful yeasty foamy mass on top, hasnt yet settled into the cake. It's my first wit, is that an issue? Ive given it 4 extra days past my week, checked again today, still foamy. Should I go ahead and rack, or give it more time?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2009, 01:11 AM   #2
Brooklyn-Brewtality
Four Beasts Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

what does the hydrometer say?

bubbles, krausen, smell... nothing will tell you anything about the beer being done better than the gravity readings.

Kegged: Berlinerweisse, Dubbel, Galaxy Wheat
Bottled: Golden Strong, Mild, IIPA, Rauch
Fermenting: Saison, Imperial Wheat Stout, Brett Saison, APA, Brett Roggenbier

Old 08-28-2009, 01:12 AM   #3
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Give it another week or two. Your yeast goes by its calendar not yours.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:19 AM   #4
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Boerde...akes_me_crazy/

If you are inexperienced, give it 2 weeks in the orimary then rack it or bottle it.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:34 AM   #5
CharlosCarlies

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Yeah 11 days is nothing (usually enough for a wit though). I'd leave it another couple of days, crash cool down to 35-40F for a few days (this will make the krausen drop out most of the time), and rack/bottle.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:35 AM   #6
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsynats View Post
I popped my primary open to transfer to my 2ndary, and there is still a big beautiful yeasty foamy mass on top, hasnt yet settled into the cake. It's my first wit, is that an issue? Ive given it 4 extra days past my week, checked again today, still foamy. Should I go ahead and rack, or give it more time?

Thanks

Rack when it is ready...your beer has no idea, and does not care if you are ready

Old 08-28-2009, 01:39 AM   #7
jmsynats
Recipes 

Have successfully used 2ndary before, but havent worked with a belgian wheat beer before. Now it looks like folks are saying wheat beers get overly clear and lose the characteristic cloudiness if you use a secondary? True?

Thanks for the advice and article, everything helps!

Old 08-28-2009, 01:40 AM   #8
jmsynats
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim View Post
Rack when it is ready...your beer has no idea, and does not care if you are ready
Ready defined by krausen dropping or by gravity?

Old 08-28-2009, 01:45 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsynats View Post
Ready defined by krausen dropping or by gravity?
Gravity......the krausen will drop when you are near gravity. If it has krausen it means the yeast are still working. SO you want to leave them alone and let them do their job.

In Mr Wizard's colum in BYO recently he made an interesting analogy about brewing and baking....He said that egg timers are all well and good in the baking process but they only provide a "rule of thumb" as to when something is ready...recipes, oven types, heck even atmospheric conditions, STILL have more bearing on when a cake is ready than the time it says it will be done in the cook book. You STILL have to stick a toothpick in the center and pull it out to see if truly the cake is ready.....otherwise you may end up with a raw cake....

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in.

That's how you'll know when to rack...or you can do like a lot of us do, and leave your beer in primry for a month then bottle.

Not too different from our beers....We can have a rough idea when our beer is ready (or use something silly like the 1-2-3 rule (which doesn't factor in things like yeast lag time or even ambient temp during fermentation) and do things to our beer willy nilly....but unless we actually stick "our toothpick" (the hydrometer) in and let it tell us when the yeasties are finished...we too can "f" our beer up.

We forget this simple fact...We are not making koolaid, or chocolate quick, just stirring in and having instant gratification...when you pitch yeast, you are dealing with living micro-organisms...and they have their own timetable, and their own agenda.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-28-2009, 01:50 AM   #10
jmsynats
Recipes 

Wow. Thanks. I love this site. Responses are nearly instant gratification...

Quick Reply