Re-using yeast from Festabrew wheat for Brewhouse Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wronguy

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have a FestaBrew Wheat in Primary and I am using a Safale S-04 yeast. I bought a few Brewhouse kits (red ale and blonde honey ale) that came with coopers yeast. from what I hear coopers is not the greatest and I was wondering if I can just dump the new wort on the old yeast cake once I rack the wheat beer off of it (wondering if the safale s-04 is the right strain for the red and honey beer) If it is which one should I do first as I will most likely re-use the yeast again and dont want to impact any werid flavours.

If I can't do the above which types of dry yeast would you reccomend a purchase to pitch for the red ale and for the honey ale?

Thanks

It would be great for the red ale. I would probably use WLP008 from White Labs for the blonde.

And yes you can pitch straight onto the yeast cake. Be prepared for it to go nuts! Use a blowoff valve.

There's nothing wrong with Coopers yeast. It may not be for every occasion but that doesn't make it bad.

Don't use the whole yeast cake. Pour it into a sanitized jar and keep it in the fridge until you're ready. If it's real thick it needs to be thinned with pre-boiled water to the point it can be swirled. After you swirl it, let it settle for 10-15 minutes and it should start to layer. Use a sanitized tool (baster) to pull about 150-200ml of slurry that makes up the middle layer.

If you use the whole yeast cake and it blows the top off your fermenter, it'll serve you right. That's too much yeast. Even with the 150ml of slurry you need to start fermentation off in the lower temp range.

Back