The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Re-using Kolsch yeast in hefe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
JohnK93
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Re-using Kolsch yeast in hefe

Hello all,
I recently washed and re-pitched some American Ale II yeast from a quasi-pale ale to a black IPA and damn, did that thing take off! With only 3 gallons in a 6.5 gallon bucket the airlock was bubbling within as few hours. Having seen this result, I decided to wash the yeast from my Kolsch that I transferred to the secondary yesterday. The thing is that I don't really want to make another kolsch, but I would like to make a hefeweizen and I recall on Jamil's show about Kolsches that the kolsch yeast (Wyeast 2565) is a great yeast for hefeweizens.

Has anyone used this yeast for a hefe, and how do you think it worked out? Any recipes to share? I'm going for something really simple and "pure", in the style of the Erdinger or Weihenstephaner hefes.

Thanks,
John

JK Brewing
Secondary: Kalinoberfest II
Bottled: Ordinary Bitter, Dry Stout
On Deck: Pale Ale, Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I dont think it would technically be a hefeweizen if it wasn't using a hefe yeast. The kolsch would be a good yeast to use (most kolsch beers have a similar percentage of wheat as a hefe) but you would still have a kolsch, not a hefe.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
JohnK93
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Hmmm....I see what you mean. I just went back and found where Jamil mentioned this in the 6.18.06 episode of The Jamil Show and he actually said that kolsch yeast a good yeast to use in American wheat beers, not hefeweizens....my mistake.

So now my question is: has anyone brewed a wheat beer using kolsch yeast and how did it come out? My wife really likes the light beers like the two hefes I mentioned, but Goose Island 312 is also one of her favorites, so anything that's light and wheaty should appeal to her. I made her an Allegash White extract clone that came out a couple shades darker than the Allegash and she didn't love this one, so I want to make something very light in color but with the hefe/wheaty flavor. Think I'll ever get there with a kolsch yeast?

Thanks,
John

JK Brewing

Old 04-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 36

All the kolsch beers I have brewed had about 30%-40% wheat used. I think a real simple grain bill (Pilsner Malt and Wheat) would give you a simple but good beer with that yeast.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 411 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I've used 2565 in several beers with a high percentage of wheat malt. It's a great all 'round yeast, if you ask me. The yeast does have distinctive characteristics, but they're not intrusive, so you'll know the wheat is there (it's not going to hide the malt character). It's never going to give you anything remotely like a Bavarian weizen, however. If you want a weizen character, you have to use wheat and a weizen yeast. There are no substitutes.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
Mr_Pear
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I've used it for an american wheat and loved the results, I think I did 60/40 wheat and 2 row and some fruity NZ hops. I've also used it for a pale ale and an IPA with good success.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brew a lot of wheat based beers with Kolsch strains and none of them taste like hefewizens. Will be really nice wheat ale hoppy or not depending on your recipe but will not have same esters profile (think banana or clove). Much more closer to American Wheat category. Try Gumball head wheat clone if you into hops or simple 50/50 base and some Centennial to 25 IBU with most reserved for late hopping. Easy drinking summer beers for sure.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #8
JohnK93
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. For those who have used the kolsch yeast to make ales or wheat beers, what was your fermentation temp profile? For the kolsch, I did 2 weeks at 62 and am now dropping to 34 for 4-6 weeks. Is the lagering time dictated by the yeast or by the style?

Thanks,
John

JK Brewing

Old 04-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK93 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. For those who have used the kolsch yeast to make ales or wheat beers, what was your fermentation temp profile? For the kolsch, I did 2 weeks at 62 and am now dropping to 34 for 4-6 weeks. Is the lagering time dictated by the yeast or by the style?

Thanks,
John
62F is a good fermenting temperature for any of the strains. I used them all, Wyeast 2565 can go as low as 55F with good results, WLP029 likes it a little warmer and manufacturer suggest do not go below 62F however I fermented with it down to 60F. Wyeast 2575 Kolsch II somewhere in between but much quicker in my opinion and drops clear faster. I had 86% attenuation with it in 72 hours and that beer got silver medal at one of the competitions.
I usually pitch at 56-58F and let it rise to 60F and hold it there.

Lagering usually dictated by style. I would lager Kolsch for 3-4 weeks but wouldn't bother lagering with wheat beer brewed with Kolsch strain if you don't mind it cloudy

Old 04-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #10
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 411 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I've fermented 2565 in my basement in (ambient) temps from 50F to nearly 70F with good results. It takes a bit longer at cooler temps, of course, but makes a good beer regardless. I've never lagered anything with it, as I don't have the capability.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Quick Reply