Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > RE: Farty/Eggy smell during fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2010, 01:31 AM   #1
coldrice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default RE: Farty/Eggy smell during fermentation

This is the first time I have ever brewed w/o putting the hops (pelletized) in a bag during the boil. I threw them directly into the wort and, admittedly, I failed to filter out the bulk of the trub when transferring to primary (experimenting with different techniques). Whether or not its the hops, cold break or hot break, I am now enjoying a smell during fermentation reminiscent of a cat box. Its an oatmeal raisin porter, which I have done before without any problems. I also used the same yeast the last time- British Ale WLP005. The only variables (obvious, anyway) are my failure to remove the trub, and my decision to not use a grain bag to keep out the hop sediment. There is a lovely layer of krausen on top and the whole business seems to be in order, but there is just a very strong odor going along with it... perhaps it's the raisins?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 01:35 AM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

Sounds like sulphur, that is common with some yeasts

Raisins? Maybe...

I am sure it is all good, keep your nose away from it

Old 01-30-2010, 01:42 AM   #3
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Enjoy that smell, it's the smell of beer being created!

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-30-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
pint4pat
Recipes 

I had a Cream Ale that made it difficult to open the door to the room where it was fermenting.

All is good - Its just the yeast.

The first time SWMBO got a wiff of it she wanted me to throw it out. It turned out to be one of her favorites.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
coldrice
Recipes 

Heh, sweet irony, huh? Something that tastes so good starts so foul, even the unfermented wort...ugh! Its just odd that I have brewed I think 8 beers, 3 cysers and 2 apple braggots, and have never experienced this smell. Anyhow, thanks for the assurance, everyone!

Quick Reply