Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Raspberry Wheat Yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
MacGruber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Raspberry Wheat Yeast?

Hey everyone,
I'm about to brew an AG American Raspberry Wheat for my cousin's 21st birthday. She wants something sweet and not too hoppy, so I thought Raspberry Wheat would be the way to go. My question to you is, what type of yeast would you use and why? I usually use smack packs, but have considered using something like S-04 for this.

For smack packs I was thinking about these possibilities:
Wyeast 1272: American 2
Wyeast 1098: British
Wyeast 1318 London III-

This will be my first Raspberry Wheat and I want the malt and berries to shine through. I'm very comfortable as an AG brewer, but I really have no idea which yeast would be best for this project. I'm looking for a refreshing, effervescent, but chewy style of American Wheat if that helps. Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I would use S-04 or S-05 because IMHO with a fruit beer, the yeast should take a back seat. Both s-04 and 05 are clean yeasts and won't play a starring role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
crlova2
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've used Wyeast 1010 american wheat before and it turned out pretty good.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
mfraier
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

+1 to s-05. I have made a couple RW's with that yeast and it has turned out very good. In fact, most of my beers I use 05 lately. It is consistant, forgiving, and has a very clean finish.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for the input. I was thinking along the exact same lines of using the S-04 or S-05 yeast and having it take a back seat. I just want a clean, crisp, beer that showcases the malt and berries. I have never used dry yeast before. Do you guys rehydrate it first? Is there a need to make a starter, or is there plenty in the dry packet? Like I said, I'm used to using smack packs.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
sjbeerman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm thinking my next brew will be a Raspberry Wheat and I was thinking of using the American Wheat yeast, which is one of the yeast recommended by JZ for his Apricot Wheat. I guess I'll have to think about this a little more...

Primary: Belgian Dark Strong
Secondary: EMPTY
Bottled: Belgian Saison Noel, Chocolate Porter, Raspberry Wheat

Old 03-23-2011, 10:05 PM   #7
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
Thanks for the input. I was thinking along the exact same lines of using the S-04 or S-05 yeast and having it take a back seat. I just want a clean, crisp, beer that showcases the malt and berries. I have never used dry yeast before. Do you guys rehydrate it first? Is there a need to make a starter, or is there plenty in the dry packet? Like I said, I'm used to using smack packs.
There is no need to make a starter. An 11.5g pack contains more than enough viable yeast. I usually don't rehydrate S04-5, but some swear by it. In general, it is always better to rehydrate, just might not be necessary per se.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #8
Forddog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That is a second for 05 sarafale made a raspberry red ale didn't take away from the raspberry flavor I'm assuming u are using extract flavoring not real fruit.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:29 PM   #9
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbeerman View Post
I'm thinking my next brew will be a Raspberry Wheat and I was thinking of using the American Wheat yeast, which is one of the yeast recommended by JZ for his Apricot Wheat. I guess I'll have to think about this a little more...
i think the american wheat yeast might be ok for you. but for the op, its for his cousin, and it seems like he wanted to have more of the fruit flavors come out, so a cleaner yeast would be better. side note. i've never been big on fruit beers, so generally i don't order them, but i recently was talked into a raspberrry wheat and really enjoyed it. not my first pick, but really good! i think the key is to not over do it with the fruit. showcase it, but don't have it be overbearing (*cough*SA cherry wheat *cough*)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:07 AM   #10
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycov View Post
i think the key is to not over do it with the fruit. showcase it, but don't have it be overbearing (*cough*SA cherry wheat *cough*)
This is exactly what I'm going for- I want the raspberry obviously noticeable, but I don't want it to taste like a Mike's hard anything. I mean, I'll have to bite the bullet and drink a case of this stuff too . I haven't decided on real frozen fruit or fruit extract yet. There's always the option of Raspberry liquor too. I'm thinking that the frozen fruit may be the best option - throwing some in during the last 15 minutes of the boil, then the remainder as soon as I begin cooling - should help cool it faster as well.

Quick Reply