The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Ranco 2 stage controller settings?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2010, 12:40 AM   #1
ebaynote
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ranco 2 stage controller settings?

Is my thinking correct. I have a 2 stage controller. Freezer is in hot garage so I don't need heating device. Would I set the first stage to cooling 65 with a 2 diff. Then set second stage to cooling 62 with a 2 diff? If I wanted to ferment at 65. Is that too tight of a range. Thanks for help. I know this is a silly question. I just wanna make it right so I can use it for the first time tomorrow.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Most 2 stage controllers have two outlets. Since your only 'cooling' you only need to use one. 65 with a 2 diff is fine. Don't worry about the other one until winter time when you'll have to DIY an ambient heat source for your freezer. During the spring/fall you might need both. It's cold in the morning but warm during the day......

Old 07-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
ebaynote
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks. I did that and came out this am and the temp said 62. Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong but should it go down to 62 when set at 65 cooling and a 2 diff. I'll give a call to the more beer guys. Thanks for the insight.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaynote View Post
Thanks. I did that and came out this am and the temp said 62. Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong but should it go down to 62 when set at 65 cooling and a 2 diff. I'll give a call to the more beer guys. Thanks for the insight.
No, I have the same controller and use a 2 degree difference, set at 45 degrees. Ninety percent of the time it reads 45, but I've never seen it vary more than the 2 degrees. I would not be too concerned, however, as there could be a slight lag giving you that extra degree.

Secondaries - Sunday Night Hoppy Pale Ale
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: American Wheat/Rye, Nut Brown Ale, Munich Helles, Belgian Stout, Resurrection Milk Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Baltic Porter

Old 07-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
If you set the cooling to 65 with a 2 diff. It will turn the freezer ON when the temp sensor gets above 67. It will turn the freezer OFF when the temp gets below 65. That's all.

So if the temp is reading 62 then the freezer should be OFF. If it's still ON then you have it set on a heat cycle. It's all in the directions from Ranco.

The second output should be used with a heating element when the weather is colder. I use both outputs year round but my fridge is in a cool basement.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:46 AM   #6
ebaynote
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah I have it set for cooling 65 with a two degree diff. The freezer was off when it read 62 but I don't understand how it can get to 62. Isn't that the whole pt of the controller to keep it in a tight range?

Old 07-27-2010, 12:53 AM   #7
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

It is overshooting. Keep in mind that just because the compressor stops it does not immediately evacuate all the cold air in the box. You might want to change the differential. Search around HBT because some posters have discussed this with the Ranco, which I don't own.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:08 AM   #8
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Tape the probe to the fermenter & set the diff to 1 degree and see what happens. You may even want to insulate the probe from the air with some Styrofoam.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:31 AM   #9
ebaynote
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'll try the one degree diff. My only concern there is that it will wear the compressor. I've got the probe covered with bubble wrap then tapped to outside of carboy. Thanks for the continued advice.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:32 AM   #10
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
I'll try the one degree diff. My only concern there is that it will wear the compressor. I've got the probe covered with bubble wrap then tapped to outside of carboy. Thanks for the continued advice.
Make sure to set the Anti Short Cycle Delay to the maximum setting, that prevents the compressor from coming on again too soon.

Quick Reply