Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Raising temperature at the end of fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Skacorica
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Raising temperature at the end of fermentation

So, in trying to make my american hybrid taste nice and clean for my father in law, who is a die hard BMC drinker I did a test after listening to one of the Jamil shows and 3/4 of the way through fermentation I moved the carboy upstairs into the closet (close to 70 degrees) from the basement (about 65 degrees) and I just sampled it yesterday and man, what a clean tasting beer! Tastes a hell of a lot like a petes strawberry blonde crossed with a lager.

Anyone else done this on a consitent basis? Im tempted to try it with some other beers as well.

Primary 3: Land Beaver Cider
Secondary 1: Trippel Clone
Secondary 2: Empty
Kegged: Larlo Imperial Chocolate Stout, Pliny the (Stronger) Bastid
Bottled: Amber Ale, Belgian Strong Ale
Note: Colors actually taken from my beers as photographed in carboys

Yeast are like day laborers; they do great work, but you don't want them hanging around when its time for dinner.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
mojotele
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I do it pretty much all the time. I ferment in a thermostat controlled freezer and when the fermentation seems to have slowed up I take it out and just let it sit in the 70 degree room. I've been getting very clean ales.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
permo
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Yes, I do this as well. I let the bulk of my fermentation take place between 60-67 degrees typically. Once I sense fermentation nearing completion I will move it into my "conditioning room" for another week or two.

Then maybe 2-3 days before bottling I move it a cooler place to encourage floculation before bottling......

You will also find that you may get a little more consistent attenuation by letting them finish warm.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:45 AM   #4
Six_O_Turbo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yep, I ramp them up to 70 or so about 3 to 4 days after the start of fermentation. I believe this keeps the yeast active a bit longer and they are better able to clean up some of the undesirable flavors that can be a product of fermentation.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:23 AM   #5
daveotero
Recipes 

Did this with my last 2 brews and my 9.5% RIS tasted CLEAN only 8 days after pitching. Pitched at 65F and brought it up a degree a day until 68F, then to 70F after the krausen had dropped.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
jalgayer
Recipes 

All great posts folks - thanks!

But... I am more looking for AFTER active fermentation has stopped... is the temp range different? Do I still use the yeasts temp range? Higher end or lower end? No differnce?

Thanks!

JASON

Regards,
Jason

BOTTLED / DRINKING
Mad-Elf Inspiration, Graff

SECONDARY
Flander's Sour Red {1 Year Old on July 28, 2011}

PRIMARY
Vanilla-Almond Pumpkin Ale, Surly Furious, Triple Karmelite Clone

ON DECK
Double White

Old 03-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
calpyro
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 18 Posts

I have been ramping up the temps of my beers by putting the fermentor in a larger bucket full of water and heating it with a fish tank heater. Works good.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
hukdizzle
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just did my first controlled ale ramp this past brew and so far it's worked great. When the krausen started falling I started ramping the beer 2'F a day until I reached 68'F. My starting temp was 63'F as I wanted a VERY clean APA. General consensus on this technique is that is produces great ales .

Old 03-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #9
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 16

It's pretty much standard practice if you want the yeast to attenuate fully. I do it all the time. It also acts as a d-rest, resulting in a cleaner-tasting beer.

Kegged: Porter, Scottish 80, Pils, Orange Blossom Mead

Old 03-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

I always start my ales cool in the lower 60's and gradually raise the temp during fermentation. Starting cool reduces off flavors. Ending warm give better attenuation.

I use a fridge/heater with a dual output digital temp controller. With this setup, I have very precise control over my fermentation temps. I can dial in any temp I want and be within 1 degree of that temp.

Quick Reply