Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Raising temp a degree a day but when?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
StarCityBrewMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Raising temp a degree a day but when?

I am using a temp controlled fermentation chamber for the first time and currently fermenting a Shakespeare Stout clone at 62 degrees using Wyeast Rogue Pacman yeast.

I have heard and read over and over to raise the temp by a degree or twoi a day as fermentation begins to slow so that the yeast will continue to stay active and clean up any off flavors they produce during fermentation. I have never been one to check my gravity readings during fermentation and usually just let it do it's thing for a full 3 weeks.

But now that I have full control I am curious if there is a general day I could begin to start raising the temp for ales? Would it be fine to begin raising the temp by 1 degree a day on day 4 of fermentation and continue to raise it over 2 weeks until I hit 70 degrees?

I pitched a 2L starter last night, today the airlock is starting to show some more constant activity, so I would begin to raise the temp starting Wed morning probably, does this sound good?

Thanks

Secondary 1: Air
Secondary 2: Air

Bottled: Edworts IPA, Nierra Sevada, Stork Blue Celebration Ale
On Deck: Maroon Effect Amber, Blonde, IPA, APA
beergolf Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 12:06 AM   #2
janivar123
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

sound about right to me, if the activety has dropped a little by then...

Old 05-09-2011, 12:08 AM   #3
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I usually let me yeast free-rise after three days of fermentation for average-strength ales.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 05-09-2011, 01:33 AM   #4
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It is something you will get a 'feel' for. Depends on how quick the ferment goes. It could be after a could of days, or a week or more.

I have a temp strip on my fermenters. I keep them in water baths, and when the fermenter temp starts to drop, I start to ramp up the water temperature.

Quick Reply