Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Raising fermentation temp after 72 hours?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
pr8_headed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Raising fermentation temp after 72 hours?

While I was searching the net on temp control I ran across a page that said it would benefit your beer to raise the fermentor temp after about 72 hours. Has anyone done this? I usually ferment around 64F for 14 days would there be any benefit of raising the temp after the yeast is done bubbling?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
JohnnyO
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 894 Times on 840 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Not necessarily. So long as you are within the proven temperature range for your yeast, you should be fine. If you feel that your fermentation has stalled, you could gently swirl beer to rouse the yeast and ramp up the temperature 5-10 degrees.

However, I would not use this as your standard practice. If you're at 64F, you are good (likely).

Old 03-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I do, as soon as fermentations starts to slow, I start raising temps from 62 to 70. I do this in about a 3 days span. I like to do the 62F ferment at the beginning to reduce blow off. After the risk of blow off is gone and yeast starts to floculate out, I start ramping up the temps. By day 7, I am at 68-70F. I then leave it at that temp for a week.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 03-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
oakbarn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Important for lager, not for ales. Diacytel Rest

Old 03-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
JesseRC
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakbarn View Post
Important for lager, not for ales. Diacytel Rest
I agree, its not important for ales, but it doesnt hurt it to help it finish up. Plus most of the fermentation is over, so no issues with off flavors.

Its no big deal if you dont, just saying this is what works for me and with a controlled ferm chamber, why not. I seem to produce quicker beers this way, from grain to glass 3 weeks. Sooner if I cut cold crashing from 1 week to 2 days.

Jesse

Old 03-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
DSmith
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I think warming up after active fermentation is finished is used inadvertently by a lot of homebrewers to free up a single fermentation chamber but not rush primary. I can't wait for my basement to get over 65F again for this reason.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
drunkrhino
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

this is common practice with belgians

Old 03-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseRC View Post
I agree, its not important for ales...
So how do you get the big esters/phenols out of a Belgian strain without getting fusels?

I always start my Belgians low and raise them up. Gives low fusel alcohols, big esters/phenols and great attenuation.

However, on my normal beers (English, American things) I just set it and forget it.
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 03-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #9
JesseRC
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaK View Post
So how do you get the big esters/phenols out of a Belgian strain without getting fusels?

I always start my Belgians low and raise them up. Gives low fusel alcohols, big esters/phenols and great attenuation.

However, on my normal beers (English, American things) I just set it and forget it.
Not sure, but I doubt raising the temp after the majority of fermentation is over , will produce esters. I thought raising the temp on High gravity Belgians (after active fermation was over) was done to get the yeast to continue chugging along and dry it out a bit. Everything I've ever read and heard was that ester/fusel alcohols were created during active fermentation at high temps. I'll have to research that a bit further, if so I'll definately keep my temp low for the duration then.

Again, I stand corrected, its not necessary for ales, I'm just saying it doesnt hurt. Plus as someone stated earlier it will free up your ferm chamber for another brew day.

I use s-04 a lot, its a quick flocculating yeast. If I keep the temps at 62 during active fermentation then the beer is actually at 65-66, then fermentation slows and temp of beer starts to drop. By me increasing temp in the ferm chamber, I'm really just keeping my beer at constant temp. What's wrong with that. I'm just compensating for the dropping beer temp and keeping the yeast at the optimum temp without them floculating out to fast.

Jesse

Old 03-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #10
pr8_headed
Recipes 

Thanks for the info I had never heard about this before. So far I've only done ales but I plan to try a lager soon. I have to get my new temp controller finished before I attempt it. Is it normal for a lager to need twice as much yeast? I did a recipe in BeerSmith it was an ale recipe that I converted to lager and bink twice as much yeast.

On a side note I just bottled my first batch of all grain and didn't taste to bad for being warm and flat.

Quick Reply