Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Quick question - hopefully I get a quick response!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2011, 01:37 AM   #1
brutus09
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Quick question - hopefully I get a quick response!

Hi,

I ordered some homebrew ingredients from Austin homebrew and made sure to get the ice pack to help out the yeast in this heat. It shipped 5 days ago and when I picked it up at my doorstop it was quite warm, also it's date is June 11. I smaked the activator (2112 california lager) 3 hours ago and it's barely swelled. My question is what are the chances this yeast is damaged and should I just go out and buy more yeast tonight? I want to make a starter tonight so I can brew tomorrow night.

Any info is much appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 01:40 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

YOu should make a starter.....you should ALWAYS make a starter with liquid yeast, but especially with yeast you're not sure about. It will let you know if the yeast is still alive, AND it will reproduce any living cells in there, as well as make sure you have enough yeast to do the job.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-26-2011, 01:44 AM   #3
Hoppin_Mad
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

The last liquid yeast pack I ordered from them was no good. I live in Dallas and I know it ain't any cooler in Austin. Probably tough for them to ship liquid packs at all with temps frequently around 100. I am probably going to be getting yeast from my LHBS until the fall. Still love AHS though!

Old 07-26-2011, 01:44 AM   #4
brutus09
Recipes 

Yeah, I completely agree with always making a starter. Do to my short window in when I can brew I think I am going to play it safe and buy some WLP810 from my LHBS to mix in with my Wyeast 2112. Historically they are the same strain so hopefully things work out.

Quick Reply