Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Quick fermentation, then almost stopped.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
wittmania
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Quick fermentation, then almost stopped.

I have a copper ale (starting gravity: 1.058) that took off like a rocket within 12 hours of pitching Safbrew S-33. It's my first all grain brew, and also the first time I've rehydrated before pitching. It got going quickly, so much so that it bubbled almost half a gallon out of my carboy through the blow off tube (that's never happened before). It was still bubbling and churning like crazy when I checked on it last night.

Now, this morning I checked on it and it's slowed significantly. There are still bubbles coming out, but it is nothing like it was last night. Is 48 hours (maybe a little more) long enough for a 1.058 OG beer to be nearly finished? If so, that S-33 must be some killer yeast.

So, should I be worried? I'm hesitant to take a hydrometer reading b/c I want to long primary this batch and not risk infection. Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

It's possible that you pitched while the beer was a little warm. This caused the yeast to take off like crazy and do the bulk of the fermentation right away. Let it sit for a few weeks and take a hydrometer reading. It sounds like all is fine.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 12-31-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
wittmania
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The wort was just below 70* when I pitched, with the rehydrated slurry at around 85*. Ferm temp has been a stable 60*, which is actually toward the low end of the recommended range for this strain. I have a sticker thermometer on the side of the fermenter so I know I've been right in line with the temp guidelines, and nothing has changed since it started. ???

Old 12-31-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

There's absolutely nothing wrong with your beer, only your perception of what your beer is and or should be doing...the answer is right here;

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/airl...9/#post2460863

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-31-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
bassbone
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, this is not unheard of. I just had a stout that started at 1.100 get down to 1.030 in 48 hours.

Quick Reply