New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Questions about fermenting




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 02:03 AM   #1
donjoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 6
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Questions about fermenting

So, I am entirely new to the world of wine and beer making.
I didn't know where to start, and so, I'll walk you through what I did.
Bare with me, I really am clueless to all this.

step 1. purchased two half gallons of welch's grape juice
step 2. put a half cup of additional sugar in
step 3. added 1 teaspoon of baker's yeast
step 4. put a balloon over each bottle
step 5. poked enough holes that the balloons would stay up, but not inflate too much, so that I could tell that it was going.

so, here's the thing, I know that apparently the yeast you use is very important, and people also say that preservatives and made from concentrate are bad things, but I never get a reason why.
could someone help me out please?
thanks.



__________________
donjoe is offline
schiersteinbrewing Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 02:18 AM   #2
k_mcarthur
Yeast Whisperer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
k_mcarthur's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 351
Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

This forum focuses on the production of quality beer and wine and not prison swill. My advice, dump it all and research more before trying.



__________________

Give a man a beer and he wastes an hour, teach a man to brew and he wastes a lifetime.

k_mcarthur is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 02:28 AM   #3
donjoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 6
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_mcarthur View Post
This forum focuses on the production of quality beer and wine and not prison swill. My advice, dump it all and research more before trying.
I was really hoping some one could help me out, give me some useful advice, explain to me why I shouldn't use certain things.
I'm really trying, I just need some guidance.
I've had this kind of stuff before, and I t was alright, tasted kinda funny though.
So can some one help me out without being a jerk.
I mean, we all start somewhere right?
__________________
donjoe is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 03:16 AM   #4
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Stow, MA
Posts: 8,382
Liked 807 Times on 671 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjoe View Post
[...]
I mean, we all start somewhere right?
Yes, but not quite that low.

What was the actual question? You are brewing honest to gawd "Swill". It will contain alcohols (some good, some not).
If you're actually worried about some miniscule amount of preservatives in the fruit juice, I think you might need recalibration...

Cheers!
__________________
day_trippr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 03:23 AM   #5
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Qhrumphf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 5,252
Liked 1130 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 451

Default

One of the admins (Yooper) has a recipe for Welch's concentrate wine. I have a batch of it aging, and it's actually quite tasty. Not fine wine (and I do make the "toilet wine" joke), but it's not swill. I've had many commercial wines that are far worse.

Baker's yeast will technically ferment, but if you can get a proper strain of brewing yeast or proper wine yeast, that is absolutely a better option. You may get some noticeable off flavors from using baker's yeast.

Preservatives are usually an issue because they inhibit fermentation. If it was producing enough CO2 to fill up a balloon, you had fermentation. Whether or not it was a healthy fermentation producing something good tasting in the end remains to be seen, but it fermented, so that hurdle is passed.

I'd definitely recommend looking through the forums here on how to do things right. You'll get much more consistent, repeatable, and better tasting results that way, whether it's beer, wine, mead, or cider. Plenty of knowledgeable folks about em all on here.

__________________

Primary: ESB, Ordinary Bitter, Mild
Secondary: Sour Stout
Bottled: Düsseldorf Altbier, Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottle "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Imperial Red, Tripel, Quadrupel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Qhrumphf is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 03:35 AM   #6
donjoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 6
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Yes, but not quite that low.

What was the actual question? You are brewing honest to gawd "Swill". It will contain alcohols (some good, some not).
If you're actually worried about some miniscule amount of preservatives in the fruit juice, I think you might need recalibration...

Cheers!
the question actual did center around the alcohols. these bad alcohols, what are they, how are they developed, what's bad about them and how do i prevent them?
thank you all for your useful information.
__________________
donjoe is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 03:47 AM   #7
schiersteinbrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
schiersteinbrewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Stanton, Texas
Posts: 151
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

The style of beverage you want to make, is very important. In my experience I was given a Mr Beer kit. Opened up the kit to see what it had. Read the directions, and it was clear on the procedures, just not the whys. So I began to read john palmers how to brew http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html , the online book was my brewing friend for the next few weeks. Until payday when I bought the actual book. The book will answer 99% of your brewing questions. I have moved from the Mr. Beer kits to full grain batches, temp controlled fermentation, yest cellcounting, to modifying my water profile. All in 12 months, while building a house and chopping off a finger. The book will carry you all the way through the process.

__________________
Planning:Caribou Slobber, SmasH 2row/Cascade, Rye Ale, Shiner Wild Hare
Primary: Cream Ale
Secondary: AHS Shiner Bock, Barleywine, SmasH Pilsner/Saaz
Kegged: Full Sail Amber Ale, Guinness Stout, Blonde Ale, AHS Moose Drool, Guinness Partigyle, AHS SA Boston Lager
Bottled:Merlot, Dead Ringer IPA, Apfelwine, Stout, Porter, Cream Ale
schiersteinbrewing is offline
donjoe Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 03:51 AM   #8
donjoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 6
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiersteinbrewing View Post
The style of beverage you want to make, is very important. In my experience I was given a Mr Beer kit. Opened up the kit to see what it had. Read the directions, and it was clear on the procedures, just not the whys. So I began to read john palmers how to brew http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html , the online book was my brewing friend for the next few weeks. Until payday when I bought the actual book. The book will answer 99% of your brewing questions. I have moved from the Mr. Beer kits to full grain batches, temp controlled fermentation, yest cellcounting, to modifying my water profile. All in 12 months, while building a house and chopping off a finger. The book will carry you all the way through the process.
Thank you for the source, the whys are very important to me.
The questions about alcohols still stand for anyone who wants to answer them.
Hopefully with the help of all of you, I can start making real drinks, haha.
__________________
donjoe is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 03:58 AM   #9
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Qhrumphf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 5,252
Liked 1130 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 451

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjoe View Post
the question actual did center around the alcohols. these bad alcohols, what are they, how are they developed, what's bad about them and how do i prevent them?
thank you all for your useful information.
"Bad" alcohols are a product of fermentation. Some are intermediary compounds that get cleaned up with age, and others are a result of poor fermentations. The ones we're usually worried about are the fusel alcohols, because they end up tasting harsh and solventy if nothing else. The actual harmful alcohols (methanol, etc) are present in only trace amounts and won't hurt you, and are nothing to worry about unless you're distilling and concentrating them.
__________________

Primary: ESB, Ordinary Bitter, Mild
Secondary: Sour Stout
Bottled: Düsseldorf Altbier, Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottle "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Imperial Red, Tripel, Quadrupel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Qhrumphf is online now
donjoe Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 04:07 AM   #10
donjoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 6
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf View Post
"Bad" alcohols are a product of fermentation. Some are intermediary compounds that get cleaned up with age, and others are a result of poor fermentations. The ones we're usually worried about are the fusel alcohols, because they end up tasting harsh and solventy if nothing else. The actual harmful alcohols (methanol, etc) are present in only trace amounts and won't hurt you, and are nothing to worry about unless you're distilling and concentrating them.
Thank you so much.
Two more questions and then I'll leave you guys alone and start reading.
1. Will age get rid of bad alcohols?
2. Will freeze distillation increase the bad alcohols enough to make a drink dangerous?


__________________
donjoe is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oak fermenting vat questions doctorcosmonaut Wine Making Forum 2 11-11-2013 10:47 PM
Fermenting questions jesseroberge General Beer Discussion 5 08-22-2012 09:59 PM
Hot Fermenting Questions, 90 deg ? WileECoyote Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 36 07-21-2012 04:01 PM
Fermenting Questions quigsnshad Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 03-09-2011 09:33 PM
Few Fermenting Questions frankthetank0516 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 09-20-2008 06:19 AM