New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Question regarding WLP830

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 02:59 AM   #1
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Question regarding WLP830

Hey all. I recently brewed a Sam Adams Boston Lager clone from AHS. The kit came with WLP830, German lager yeast. My OG was quite low, at 1.041, it was suppose to be 1.051. Anyways, I realize I should have made a starter, but, I didn't. I chilled to 70° and pitched the one vial that came with the kit. I realize that I drastically under pitched, but I started seeing activity within 12 hours. I cooled down to 50° and 24 hours later I'm still seeing airlock activity. So, my question is this... Am I in the clear regarding any type of fermentation lag, or should I still be expecting that, due to my under pitching?

http://www.bluelinebrewer.com

Like my page on Facebook!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Yes, a starter should have been used for this beer, and every lager (most beers, actually). Also, you pitched very warm, which will undoubtedly have an impact on the clean, crispness of the finished beer- you'll still make beer, but it will be more estery (fruity) than it's supposed to be. Most of us chill the wort and pitch cool, as those first 48 or so hours of fermentation are when most yeast character develops; since lager beers are expected to be clean and crisp, you want to keep that character to a minimum... which is what cooler fermentation temps (48-50˚F) will do.

It is good you got it down to 50 after 12 hours. Let us know how it turns out!

Old 04-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
Yes, a starter should have been used for this beer, and every lager (most beers, actually). Also, you pitched very warm, which will undoubtedly have an impact on the clean, crispness of the finished beer- you'll still make beer, but it will be more estery (fruity) than it's supposed to be. Most of us chill the wort and pitch cool, as those first 48 or so hours of fermentation are when most yeast character develops; since lager beers are expected to be clean and crisp, you want to keep that character to a minimum... which is what cooler fermentation temps (48-50˚F) will do.

It is good you got it down to 50 after 12 hours. Let us know how it turns out!
Yeah, I wish I had done a little more reading before I jumped in to lagers! Lol. I pitched at 70, based on the instructions that came from AHS... :/ at any rate, like you said, ill still make beer! Lesson learned!

Old 04-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

This fermentation is still going strong! I was concerned that without the starter that the fermentation would stall. When do I need to do a d-rest? I've read a couple different things. One thing I saw said to do it when my SG is half of what it was when I started.. I.e. 1.020 (since I started at 1.041) is that right?

Old 04-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelinebrewer View Post
This fermentation is still going strong! I was concerned that without the starter that the fermentation would stall. When do I need to do a d-rest? I've read a couple different things. One thing I saw said to do it when my SG is half of what it was when I started.. I.e. 1.020 (since I started at 1.041) is that right?
It's not necessarily that your yeast won't work if you underpitch, but that it's not going to perform near as well as it could have had you pitched an adequate starter; this stresses the yeast, which leads to off flavors.

For all of my hybrids and lagers, I typically pitch about 2˚ cooler than my intended fermentation temp, let it rise to my target temp and sit there for 2-3 days, then boost the temp of my regulator by 2˚ to 4˚ every 12 hours or so until it reaches my d-rest temp of 66˚- this usually 4 days for lagers, 2 days for hybrids (I just started raising the temps on my Kölsch and Cal Common, in fact). I'll let it sit at 66˚ for 3-5 days, until fermentation is clearly complete, then I cold crash to 33˚ where it remains for at least 4 days, package (keg for me) and lager for 10+ days.

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

|BRULOSOPHY|

Old 04-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post

It's not necessarily that your yeast won't work if you underpitch, but that it's not going to perform near as well as it could have had you pitched an adequate starter; this stresses the yeast, which leads to off flavors.

For all of my hybrids and lagers, I typically pitch about 2˚ cooler than my intended fermentation temp, let it rise to my target temp and sit there for 2-3 days, then boost the temp of my regulator by 2˚ to 4˚ every 12 hours or so until it reaches my d-rest temp of 66˚- this usually 4 days for lagers, 2 days for hybrids (I just started raising the temps on my Kölsch and Cal Common, in fact). I'll let it sit at 66˚ for 3-5 days, until fermentation is clearly complete, then I cold crash to 33˚ where it remains for at least 4 days, package (keg for me) and lager for 10+ days.
Thanks for the info! I went ahead and started raising my temp.. I may be a little late, as its been fermenting for 4-5 days now. Quick question, you mentioned packaging, then lagering. So I should bottle before lagering? I was under the impression that I lagered then bottled.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:27 AM   #7
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelinebrewer

Thanks for the info! I went ahead and started raising my temp.. I may be a little late, as its been fermenting for 4-5 days now. Quick question, you mentioned packaging, then lagering. So I should bottle before lagering? I was under the impression that I lagered then bottled.
You'll be fine. If bottling, batch lager for 4-6 weeks then bottle. Cheers!

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

|BRULOSOPHY|

Old 04-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #8
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Great! Thanks for the help!